PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help in further jazz articulation!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: help in further jazz articulation! Reply with quote

Hey guys, im sort of a noobie to the jazz guitar world, i have been studying it seriously for about 4 months, i have definetly got my picking technique and scalar technique down, but i am having a bit of trouble with my lead voicings and chord vocabulary build up....PLEASE give me some tips on how i could more efficiently improve in these two areas....i will take tips, websites, books, ANYTHING it would be greatly appriciated, thanks a lot.
Christian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guy

The most useful thing I ever learned when building up chord vocabulary was that chords belong to families

Major tonic
maj; maj7; maj9; 6

Minor tonic
min; min7; min9; min6

Dominant
7; 9; 13; 7#11

Altered dominant
7b9, 7#9, 7#5 and basically any wierd seventh chord

Diminished
o7, -7b5

You can *always* swap chords within the families.

The second most useful thing I learned is when you learn a chord, if you find out which notes are the 3rd, 5th, 7th, you can change the family of the chord by moving them up or down a fret. Learn your chord structure. You will never need to rely on a chord book if you can learn to do this.

The third most useful thing I learned is that you can miss out the roots of chords. This makes a lot of chords the same.

See what happens to a shape when you move it up or down a string.

Some chords are actually the same as other chords. E.g.:

A-7 = C6

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate, I've been playing a similar length of time myself. The most useful place I've found to acquire knowledge so far (besides chris's course) is a chat room, on the file-sharing app soulseek, named jazz impro theory, there are a great many musicians that appear on here and they are free to answer any jazz related questions you may have.

To answer your question at a more elementary level than the previous post, you need to study what are called inversions. Basically, you take a chord voicing, such as Fmaj7 1X221X which has the chord tones 1, maj7, 3, 5, in that order (from bass to treble), and find a voicing further up the neck that contains all these notes. Using the same strings the next inversion is 5X355X. There are three more inversions which i'll leave you to find.

It is certainly a job searching for all the inversions for all chords, esp with embellishments, but it's a fun task choosing the sounds you like and finding new colours with which to express yourself.

I don't know whether Chris's course covers this as I haven't completed it yet, so apologies if it does, but i hope that someone will find it useful.

Dave.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Another good system when starting to improvise is to learn the different positions of scales.
Ex. C major scale: starting from the low G, A, B, D and E. ( all on the low E string.) If you do this with the different scales you are practicing you will eventually get to see the harmonic spectre of the guitar in a more visual way.
The guitar is a very visual instrument, but always combine it with your ears.
Try to define chords; spelling out chord tones:
try tunes like all the things you are, eventually giant steps, and try to only on the root of the chords, the the thirds, fifths and so on...
By this I mean, try to connect your lines and always know where to land.
Learn to hear the different sounds on each chord.
Hope this will help....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: