PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So what do you do when everyone around you hates jazz?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ntgr8

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: So what do you do when everyone around you hates jazz? Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
Totally serious, what do you do?

Why do you care? It should not matter what other people think of your choices in music, but if you are trying to bring someone along with you like a girlfriend or something, try introducing to jazz with something that is really jazzy pop like George Benson's "Breezin'," "Feels So Good" by Chuck Mangione, "Cafe Amore" by Spyro Gyra, or "Mr Magic" by Grover Washington, Jr. You can also try jazzy vocalists like Al Jarreau, Diane Reeves, or Manhattan Transfer. Frank Sinatra's stuff with the Count Basie is good as well. Louie Armstrong is good. Ella Fitzgerald or the great Sarah Vaughn. I have never had anyone tell me to turn off "Sassy!"

People need to be introduced to jazz. One of the first jazz records I ever heard was Wes Montgomery's version of the Beatles "A Day In The Life." Amazing!! I don't care what you think about his "commercial" albums, Wes could play "Mary Had A Little Lamb" and it would be killin'!!! The next record I heard that featured jazz was Henri Mancini's brilliant movie music from "Mr Lucky" and "The Pink Panther." I always loved tv themes, and the late 60s and early 70s were a great era for tv themes that used jazz as a foundation. Television's "I Spy," "The Odd Couple," "The Avengers," "The Jetsons," "Ironside," "Mission: Impossible," "Taxi," even "The Price Is Right" all had fantastic themes rooted in jazz. This music heightened my interest in jazz music. My parent did not listen to jazz per se, but all the albums by Sinatra, Joe Williams, and other helped me get into it.

Try this approach and see how your peeps respond.

Cheers!

It's the journey, not the destination!

www.myspace.com/goodtar
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: So what do you do when everyone around you hates jazz? Reply with quote

Quote:

Relatively speaking I have, and to quote my better half "I wish I could have my heavy metal guitar player back...but what ever makes you happy." And that's where things stand...as good as it'll get, I guess. Wink
rocktojazz

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A conversation in my sisters house last month between her husband and I when a small jazz combo came on a TV show and did a number:

Brother in Law: I hate jazz, its just a noise
Me: Well, not all of it is technical and some of it is very easy on the ears
Brother in Law: Rubbish, NONE of it is easy on the ears, its ALL crap
Me: Try listening to Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole or even Chris Botti or Kenny G ( I know its not jazz but....you know anything that may have got his attention..) These guys are really ear friendly and very soothing to listen to...
Brother in Law (interupts); Well they're marketing these guys all wrong then..aren't they if they are that good !!!!
ntgr8

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: So what do you do when everyone around you hates jazz? Reply with quote

Gorecki wrote:
Quote:

Relatively speaking I have, and to quote my better half "I wish I could have my heavy metal guitar player back...but what ever makes you happy." And that's where things stand...as good as it'll get, I guess. Wink

Laughin my arse off Peace!

It's the journey, not the destination!

www.myspace.com/goodtar
Ian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meet a lot of people who think they like jazz... "So what sort of music so you play? Jazz?! Oh I love jazz!". These are the same people who request Moondance and Fever at a gig. Of course I always oblige - hey it will only take 3 minutes of our time and we'll gain one loyal fan!

But my favourite request is for "Something by Frank Sinatra". Now somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he ever wrote any songs did he? I just tell them that Frank Sinatra probabaly sung half the songs in our repertoire.

Sorry I got a bit off topic here with my ranting... if I meet people who hate jazz I don't really give a shit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: