PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

just starting out...need advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kj

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: just starting out...need advice Reply with quote

I'd like to learn how to play the jazz guitar. However, my musical background is limited (some piano/drums in my younger years).

I know it will be a very long road to get to any level of competence.
Any advice on how to get started?

thanks in advance!

kj
Bjorn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there.
As a start, you have to study harmony.
then you can buy a Jamie Aebersold play-along-book for your level.
These books contain a scale summary for allmost every imaginable chord, and by studdying harmony also, I think this might could be a good start.
In case you dont know these books, I can tell that there are more or less 10 numbers in each. The melodi is written for you to play over the recording, (Piano,Bass and Drums) And with maybe 10-20 remaining choruses for you to improvise.....
A good one for you could be the book "Jam session" or "Maiden voyage"....
Good luck, and let me know if this helps you.
Bjorn.
PS.David Liebman (famous saxophonist) has released a book through the Aebersold series called "The scale syllabus" where he demonstrates all the scale "moods" I can recommand this one...
jzakr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: just starting out...need advice Reply with quote

kj wrote:
I'd like to learn how to play the jazz guitar. However, my musical background is limited (some piano/drums in my younger years).

I know it will be a very long road to get to any level of competence.
Any advice on how to get started?

thanks in advance!

kj

Pick up your ax and start swingin to the music you like.
Mark J Perry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Any advice on how to get started Reply with quote

Practise with the TV: try and play along with ANY music that pops up in programmes, and especially in ad breaks (they come thick and fast!) I started doing this recently and it's surprising how it develops an instinct for prehearing/predicting/fingering/hitting intervals, not to mention learning to play in all styles.

The other thing it solves is practice 'rut' - you don't know what's coming so you haven't time to think about it.. just DO!

Best of luck
tedlev

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard! I was in exactly your position about seven years ago, so let me share with you some things that I have found helpful.

First, professional instruction -- good profession instuction -- is very helpful. Approach your favorite local pro player for a lesson or a referral. There are all sorts of methods, theories, approaches out there, and it's good to have a guide when you are starting out.

Second, relating jazz harmony to the instrument is a an important technical obstacle to overcome. Practice playing major, minor and dominant scales, arpeggios and chords in five positions up and down the neck of the guitar.

Take a look at the lessons on Fareed Haque's web site: www.fareed.com. He offers good advice and fretboard exercises for beginners.

Third, in playing, less is more. Listen to Jim Hall's recordings with Bill Evans, for example. A very harmonically advanced player, Hall makes a lot of music with changes in volume dynamics and variations on simple themes.

Advice I don't often follow myself: don't get too bogged down in mechanical exercises. Try to play a simple solo in time for an actual song.

Adult students, I think, face a paradox: they lack the practice time that children have in abundance, but are more focused and make more of the time they have.

Enjoy!
wkriski

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: good advice Reply with quote

I'd have to agree with tedlev on this one. I found a local musician who was well known in jazz circles and teaches at college and university.

What I've realized from wanting to play jazz is that there are many components to learning it and the key is not to get discouraged and to acknowledge that you are improving relative to your past abilities.

Other things I would suggest are to listen to lots of music - not just guitarists but I really like Charlie Parker and John Coltrane because the sax is usually very melodic. I am trying to get away from the mindless shredding I used to do!

Transcribing is also important - I've found that this is a great way to learn jazz. Many ideas are not to be found anywhere except on the recordings. You can take rhythmic ideas or melodic patterns (not just from guitarists but from sax, trumpet, bass players, drummers) and play them in other keys to get them into your playing.

Another thing which is important is playing with others. I joined a night class at college where an instructor guides us through jazz standards. It has exposed many weaknesses such as sight reading and rhythm reading problems, playing together in time without speeding up or slowing down, playing and listening to others, accompanying when other people are soloing, and many other things that playing alone at home don't address.

Good luck!
jazzmikey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: starting out Reply with quote

First of all, consider: it's never the getting there. It's the journey. If you don't enjoy the journey, quit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn all the major, minor and dominant scales with all the tensions in all the positions. Spend at LEAST 1 hour a day practicing them up and down the fretboard. Learn the chords with the tensions major, minor and dominant and learn them in all positions. Practice them in each positin using the cycle of 4ths and 5ths. Practice them at LEAST 1 hr a day.

Then go out and buy every Wes Montgomery and Kenny Burrel CD you can find. Listen to them as much as you can over and over and over. Believe me you won't get tired of them. Go out and buy a few GOOD jazz fake books and learn the tunes. When you improvise close you eyes and forget about the scales. It doesn't get any better.
gjh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Any advice on how to get started Reply with quote

If you are learning guitar then you couldn't do much worse than learning the Plane Talk system. It is simple yet very versatile. Visit http://www.thatllteachyou.com for a start. Much to the surprise of 25 year olds age has nothing to do with learning ability. Just do like any one else. Practice. Practice and Practive again.
StrBender

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very lucky to live were I do. I was able to study for 2 yrs with Joe Rogers.( fac.berklee college of music). We focused on a Modern Method for Guitar bk's 1,2&3 by William G Leavitt, also the Jamie Abersold stuff. Great foundation and you can easily order them online! THEN I studied with Charlie Banacos! ( mike stern, Jaco pastorius, vic juris, not to mention a long list of key/brass players) Larry Coryell is on the waiting list! lol. It was GREAT but I put to much presure on myself and burnt out! lesson#1 KEEP IT FUN! I would go for my lesson and the students before me or after me were playing gigs like the Montreal Jazz Festival or on World Tours! I was still learning All Blues & Peace lol. I'm not young (46) started my own finish carpentry business. I protect my hands the best I can. NOW playing & self studie is FUN again with out the stress!
Remember Jazz is a life long journy not a sprint like rock.
zoezoe@eircom.net

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: strbender reply Reply with quote

StrBender wrote:
I am very lucky to live were I do. I was able to study for 2 yrs with Joe Rogers.( fac.berklee college of music). We focused on a Modern Method for Guitar bk's 1,2&3 by William G Leavitt, also the Jamie Abersold stuff. Great foundation and you can easily order them online! THEN I studied with Charlie Banacos! ( mike stern, Jaco pastorius, vic juris, not to mention a long list of key/brass players) Larry Coryell is on the waiting list! lol. It was GREAT but I put to much presure on myself and burnt out! lesson#1 KEEP IT FUN! I would go for my lesson and the students before me or after me were playing gigs like the Montreal Jazz Festival or on World Tours! I was still learning All Blues & Peace lol. I'm not young (46) started my own finish carpentry business. I protect my hands the best I can. NOW playing & self studie is FUN again with out the stress!
Remember Jazz is a life long journy not a sprint like rock.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Hi Stringbender, Paul o'Regan calling from Dublin in Ireland, I read your response to a browsers question about how to play jazz on the Play Jazz Guitar site. I was very taken with your response, you were very lucky to have studied with Charlie Banacos, it must have been expensive ! I have been trying to play jazz for a long time now but time is the for practice is the biggest obstacle, I am a self employed cabinet maker, with a 5 year old daughter, I can play all the chords and the standards but the improv is my falling down. Is there one piece of advice you could give me to get started, I have read loeds of books and listened to all the usual suspects C.D.s, but I think I'm missing something. I have been working with wood machines for the past 12 years, and have always been aware of saftey purley because, if I lost a finger, or worse, I wouldnt be able to play guitar anymore. Please let me know how self study can be fun. Yours Gratefully, Paul
jacques

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen, learn and emulate....

If you got the sound in your mind's eye, it'll appear from your hands, and out your gear.

Then create and innovate Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: