PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help transcribing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soulive27

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Need help transcribing Reply with quote

I have just started playing jazz guitar and i want to transcribe a solo, but the problem is that i cant find any easy solo. Please if someone knows which solo is good trascribe to someone who is a bigginer plese let me know, thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soulive....love that band..anyway....from what i have been told a couple of people that are good to start with are Jim Hall and Charlie Christian ...because what they play isnt as hard to figure out....its there inovative styles and grooves that make them great.
Gussy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help transcribing Reply with quote

I think that a good way to get into transcribing jazz solos is to take gtr players like Barney Kessel and Herb Ellis --for starters
soulive27

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information, but i was wondering if you know in particular song that is easy to start with.

thanks
Robert Burton

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can I suggest a different approach?

Buy or find an accurate transcription (not a web tab) of a song or songs.

Without looking at it try and transcribe one of the tunes and then use the book to 'grade' yourself. You will see where you went wrong and where you went right. And you will learn to hear and what you can't hear ....yet!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help transcribing Reply with quote

Hey there,
Scofield plays a nice and easy solo on the album ''up all night'', I think it is number 4 on the disc.
The solo goes over a backcycle turnaround througout (Bm7 E7 C#m7 F#7b9), and even though its an easy solo, there is alot of beautyfull lines you can get inspiration from since you have just startet playing jazzguitar.
Bjorn.....

....Let me know if you are transcribing it, and if you like it.

soulive27 wrote:
I have just started playing jazz guitar and i want to transcribe a solo, but the problem is that i cant find any easy solo. Please if someone knows which solo is good trascribe to someone who is a bigginer plese let me know, thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: