PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

my take on "Four" By Miles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
youngnicholas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: my take on "Four" By Miles Reply with quote

I just recorded this little take on the miles davis tune four. all feedback is welcome

Attached URL: Four
youngnicholas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: linkkk Reply with quote

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000112667_000010614_proj.mp3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it sounds really nice....alot more breathing in this one than in the last one....sounds much less forced....i do have a couple of questions.....how much of this is improved and how much is written..and also these are really nice backing tracks...where did you get them? Anyway, very good job and look foreword to hearing you progress more.
youngnicolas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: .... Reply with quote

thanks of checking it out. about the improvisation. the licks are mostly ones that i have had or made. but i don't plan out when i play them i just have lying around. about the backing tracks..jamey aebersold books. And if you go on your music download program if you have one. just type jamey aebersold and you'll get a bunch of tracks.
Nohands

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can get them legaly here Smile Jamey Aebersold

That one is in Volume 65
Miles Davis (1926 - 1991)
Jim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard your recording. NICE. good tone and after the head you loosen up. Hope to hear more.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi youngnicolas,

good stuff. Would you be kind enough to share with us what equipment you use: guitar, amp, guitars strings, and recording device.

I really enjoy your work. Keep it up.
alfonso

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youngster,
You kick ass my man, I second the last guys question what kind of guitar etc. Also, are you reading a sheet on this, or are you strictly playing by ear after listening to a recording? Good stuff, keep it up... Cool
Jazzy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Youngnicolas.

I`m listening to your take now. It sounds really good, you`re heading in the right direction Smile
But I have some thoughts on your playing.
Better swing, than your last take. But you`re playing a bit too much behind the beat sometimes. Maybe this has to do with the tempo?
My advice would be to practice more of a "staccato" way of picking. Pick hard with your right hand and keep your left hand relaxed. And be really aware of where you are playing regarding the beat.
Some albums you should check out:
Hank Garland, jazz winds from a new direction
Joe Pass, For Django
Pat Martino, We`ll be together again, Exit and Conciousness.
George Benson, Weekend in LA, Off the top (Jimmy Smith).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any of these lines written out? Where did you learn them? From your description of what you played, you seem to be telling us that you use a bit of a cut and paste approach. I must state that your sound is smoother than that approach usually creates.

Justin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

guest... i don't have any lines written out.. i mainly just listened to version like crazy and took licks from it. but if you heard the licks you wouln't recognize them right away because i tried to make them my own....hope that helps and makes sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: