PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jazz music on classic guitar
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluerag

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: jazz on classical Reply with quote

Jazz wrote:
I would suggest anything by Ralph Towner. He has a real intereting and "classical" approach to jazz. And he is never too obvious. I also like his unpolished but expressional sound and musical ideas. A lot of guitarist pick up the nylon string and just apply their electric style. I myslef find the nylon to be a totaly different instrument in a lot of ways. And when I play it the musical ideas differ very much from my sound on the electric.

To all you classical guitarist out there. Congratulations! You have a unike advantage in your skills even when it comes to jazz. Use it instead of loosing it in those long hours of building up the jazz chops.

Good Luck/
Hank

WORD! Towner did some excellent stuff on his onw, I also love his records with John Abercombie.

For more traditional stuff, play some bossa nova, the ol' Ipanema, etc.
I love Scot Joplin's ragtimes on guitar. And some specifically guitar rags, Piedmont blues style.
Chrstian

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn some Latin American msuic - Bossa Nova is a good place to start. Here's an area where the nylon string is king. Learn some chord shapes and accompany a singer or a sax player. Listen to the Brazilian masters!

You can probably tell - I'm on a Jobim kick at the moment.

I digress, but:

On these '60s records, the Brazilian guys make the North Americans sound really bad - hurried, pushed, ahead of the beat. I tested my girlfriend, who is an excellent musician, in a double blind, and she could spot the difference between a Brazilian and US rythm section every single time. It's a real feel thing...

I'm know I'm going to get a lot of hackles raised, but to my ears, Charlie Byrd just isn't very good at bossa. The recording of Desafinado with Stan Getz sounds like a poor joke in comparison to the lilting vocal release with a Brazillian rythm section, and Byrd's solo on it is very poor. Also to my horror, Kenny Burrell is quite bad at Bossa! As I'm a big Burrell fan normally, what stuff should I check out to hear Byrd in his element?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: