PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

nylon strings for which guitar?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mauro

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: nylon strings for which guitar? Reply with quote

Dear all,
I'm still investigating what to buy (Jazz guitar + Ampli) and I've one question:

all the jazz guitar can "work" with nylon strings? or only some jazz guitar are better........

Grazie
Mauro
jim

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: nylon Reply with quote

Hi mauro
If I understand your question, you are asking if nylon strings can be played on a Jazz guitar. Nylon strings are played mostly on a clasical type guitar. I have seen other type guitars, some solidbodies that use nylon, but these are exceptions.
In response to your past question on guitar types, I believe the consenses was; any type of guitar, including your classical, can be used.
The advent of the archtop guitar with steel strings and then the amplifier was in response to the need to be heard above horns and drums; especially in a large ensemble.
If it is your intention to play with an ensemble, especially one with electrfied instruments, you will need amplification. And yes a classical tpye guitar can be amplified and sounds wonderful.
bluerag

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, it's just classical or electroclassical with a piezo pickup.

Hollow bodies, like all electric guitars take metal strings, because the pickups on the top are magnetic, which means they pick the magnetic field a vibrating metal string creates, vibrations of the top too, but mainly the magnetic field.

Piezo pickups, usually placed under the saddle at the bridge pick the vibrations of the top, that's why nylon strings can work with classicals equipped in a piezo pup, but won't work with an electric guitar.

Some hollow bodies do have a neck magnetic pickup AND a piezo at the bridge, but they are destined for metal strings too.
jim

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mauro;
Within the hour after the last message I opened a book to see a picture of Jobim on a stool next to a sax, drum, and bass. He was playing a classical guitar through a P.A. system.
I also rembered that Yamaha produced a solid body type guitar with nylon strings; and, gibson and epihone have Chet Akins models, solid top guitars, with nylon strings.
The type nof nylon would be whatever yu are comfortable with.
hugo

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mauro.
I have read all answers, but nobody ask you if you play with plug or not, thatĚs the question. Iam a professional jazz guitar teacher and play too many years with a classical guitar using nylon strings, I play with my fingers and sounds wonderful.
If you want to play with nylon strings, you need a very good classical guitar, it means, native woods. So expensive! yes.
You need a ceramic pick up instead of the classical bridge, thatĚs all.
If you want more information, send me a mail to:
hugohar1@hotmail.com
take care, hugo har. from la serena, chile, south america.
Smile
[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: