PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bad singers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Bad singers Reply with quote

Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's just my hometown, but why are there so many bad singers around?

There are a few vocalists in my town who have truly beautiful voices, but there are also many amongt the "respected" jazz crowd who have merely average-sounding voices which start to annoy me after two songs.

I recently saw a local trombone personality (we only have one) doing a show at City Hall with his band. They played some nice arrangements and are all good players, but then he decided he should sing, and the show started going downhill. He wasn't even really singing, just talking in his normal voice with the relevant changes in pitch added. Very ordinary compared to the rest of the performance.

A former teacher of mine had a nice jazz trio, and used to sing "to give the crowd a bit of a thrill" but he sounded very ordinary - just like an average Joe singing in the shower.

My cousin, who is a good jazz muso, had his wedding band ruined (in my opinion) by a TERRIBLE female singer.

I recently downloaded a Video podcast (can't seem to find it now) of a regular jazz session at a club where they have a guest artist each week. This week they had a female singer who was doing all the right things - she was very creative and obviously a very accomplished improviser, but she had a voice like a squawking crow!

A guitarist friend and I went along to a blues jam a while back, and were asked by a "singer" to accompany her on some jazz tunes. Well she was REALLY TERRIBLE!!! Horrible wobbly tone, came in anywhere - not even at the start of a bar, came in on the wrong note and then sang seemingly random notes from there. Afterwards she was really excited by how well it went, and wanted us to start a band with her.

Obviously the last example is an extreme case, but why are there so many professional jazz singers who are... just unpleasant to listen to?
ingeneri

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by ingeneri on Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Viper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But much worse is the little girl at jam sessions who always calls "My Funny Valentine" and has no idea what key she's in. Then she scats....

This happens here in the UK. I think also a total failure to interpret the song. You gotta have been about a bit (paid some dues) to sing these songs.

'cept 'That why the lady is young student who got drunk for the first time last week'
That doesn't get called so often these days.
hanni

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, there is a page to find singers, some are in the USA, www.gospelszene.de

hanni
guitbeef

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon guys, don't throw rocks at me, but, considering this thread, I have to post this (even though it's not jazz):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5-4yLGkENzc
L4sleeko

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised Oh, she's GOOD!

?:^O
thane27

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*throws rocks*

Laughing
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same everywhere!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: