PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New feller from Portsmouth UK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: New feller from Portsmouth UK Reply with quote

Hello all, Iím newcomer.
I donít really consider myself a jazz guitarist. Iíve been playing guitar for 36 years and am a bit of a jack-of-all-trades technically. I have drawn from all major styles with the exception of Flamenco (I donít have a Spanish guitar, and a great many of those lovely techniques donít work at all well on a steel strung instrument).

I have always improvised. I have taught too. I have some tutorials on SongStuff.com (I still owe them a 3rd).

I donít read music. I understand it well enough to decipher it, but find it laborious work. I feel the same way about tab too. I used to use tab to figure out finger-picked stuff, but that was 30 years ago. Iíve gotten by using my ears since then. My ears are not infallible, but then I am not a purist either, so I have a sort of elastic connection to other peopleís music in general.

To put it bluntly, I am essentially LAZY. Curiosity is my best motivation.

I play in a 7 piece band that is essentially soul & ska. I donít have enough solos in there to suit me, but we have a light gig-book, so itís not at all demanding. At least its gets me out playing regularly.

I should have a jazz Ďlikeí outlet ideally. What I do lack is all those interesting little passing harmonies that people I consider Ďproperí jazz guitarists know (Joe Pass, Barney Kessel, or even Bob Fripp). Iíve made a few up, but they are crude compared to the likes of those gents work. I suppose I would have to actually play jazz ballads to really need them.

OK that enough about me. Iím off to look at the rest of the Forum now.
Bye for now...
user45

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum from one newbie to another.
Jazzy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Rudi Smile
Viper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be interested in the Southern Jazz Guitar Society that meets in the Abbey Hotel, Romsey on the last Tues of each Month about 8:30-11(except December). A couple of times a year they have master classes with the likes of John Etheridge and Jim Mullen.

Tonight there is a meeting. They are going to discuss improvising to the 'Out of Nowhere' changes.

I will not be there as I have a rehersal.
thing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LO newby.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: