PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Software for making guitar diagrams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Software for making guitar diagrams Reply with quote

I知 an instructor (as I知 sure many of us here are) and I want to get some of my lessons on paper and looking professional for my students. Does anyone know which program is used when creating the guitar grids with chords/scales/arpeggios in them, that are used in major publications.

Thanks,
Dave
JazzOnSix

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Software for making guitar diagrams Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
I知 an instructor (as I知 sure many of us here are) and I want to get some of my lessons on paper and looking professional for my students. Does anyone know which program is used when creating the guitar grids with chords/scales/arpeggios in them, that are used in major publications.

Dave,

I've been doing professional music desktop publishing for 20+ years, starting with Dr. T's "The Copyist" on an antiquated Atari 1040ST back in the mid-eighties.

Nowadays the major players for dedicated scoring are Finale and Sibelius, and both flagship programs have lesser-priced guitar cousins (Finale Guitar and G7, respectively). I still do most of my work in Finale, including custom guitar diagrams, mainly because of the layout precision.

- Mark
Jazzy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m also a teacher. And I`ve been using Sibelius for some years now.. A great tool, and pretty easy to learn. Recommend it Smile
Most people I know use Sibelius. I haven`t tried Finale, but everyone I`ve talked to says Sibelius is easier/faster to learn and easier to work with.
JazzOnSix

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazzy wrote:
Most people I know use Sibelius. I haven`t tried Finale, but everyone I`ve talked to says Sibelius is easier/faster to learn and easier to work with.

Not surprised to hear that at all. Finale was #1 in the publishing industry for years. Now Sibelius seems to be the most popular program. I own and have used both Sibelius and G7, but despite its popularity and their company's chest-beating as being the defacto standard, there are things I can do regarding layout in Finale that Sibelius simply can't do. But if the main purpose is doing custom chord grids, either program is fine.

- Mark
Dave

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I went to the local music store and the guy at the counter said he has Finale but you can't place fretboard boxes on a blank sheet or without a staff to place it over. Is this true? The kid was young and maybe he's wrong. He also said you can't have more than one note per string on the fretboard grids with Sebelius. I'd like to be able to do what was described above with Fretworx and make a sort of chord/scale sheet with no staves, and do everything else the other two programs offer. So basicaly can you make something like a chord/scale diagram book (no musical staves) with either Sebelius or Finale?
Thanks again
Dave
Jazzy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I went to the local music store and the guy at the counter said he has Finale but you can't place fretboard boxes on a blank sheet or without a staff to place it over. Is this true? The kid was young and maybe he's wrong. He also said you can't have more than one note per string on the fretboard grids with Sebelius. I'd like to be able to do what was described above with Fretworx and make a sort of chord/scale sheet with no staves, and do everything else the other two programs offer. So basicaly can you make something like a chord/scale diagram book (no musical staves) with either Sebelius or Finale?
Thanks again
Dave

Yeah, you can that on Sibelius.
Bickertfan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Software for making guitar diagrams Reply with quote

Dave wrote:

Thanks,
Dave

I recently picked up a useful tool which may or may not be of interest to you but seems worth posting. It is an in ink based chord grid stamp. It has 3 differnet sizes of 6 string chord grid. For my application I can use the smallest one to stamp chord grids above the sheet music of standards and write in the chords for my chord melody. That way if I come up with something cool I don't have to worry about forgetting it, I just fill in the chord grids. It might offer you a qhick way to sketch things out without going to your computer. I bought it off ebay from Kay's frets and I believe if you search 'chord grid you can find it.
Dave

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of those ink stamps along time ago, they're great but my handwriting has gotten worse over the years lol. Anyway, I finaly got to try out Finale (pun intended) and was able to get what I wanted to happen very quickly. So I bought it. Again, thanks for all the help.
Dave
Ian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a teacher too and have spent heaps of time looking for the right software programs, and I have a found a great one:

For chord grids etc. I use Diagram Designer- a great freeware program It's really easy to use and is perfect for the job. I also copy and paste stuff in from Guitar Pro 4 and Band in a Box. If you do a print preview you can just press printscreen and crop the image in Painbrush then drop it in your diagram. You can basically lay the page out however you want.
alfonso

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about any of the transcribing software available but if you need chord diagrams to cover one aspect of your learning sheets, then those are many and they're free. I'll leave a link, I know you will need software to do other things but check out these free sheets. later

http://www.steiger.rockguitar.net/guitar.htm

Dave wrote:
Thanks again
Dave
C7 Melody

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

even though i am also looking in to programs such as everyone is speaking of but for know i use these.

http://guitar.about.com/od/songwriting/a/printable_blank.htm
http://www.blanksheetmusic.net/
http://www.thecipher.com/guitar_free_pdfs.html
http://www.gootar.com/chordgen/
PaulD

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't laugh, but I use the poor man's tool - Microsoft Paint. It's really easy to create fingerboard diagrams and chord grids and place fingerings, fret markers, text, whatever.

Paul
TELCO1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to this site and get Chords.exe. Works great for me when I teach or send my jamming buddies some music and I have to add some chord diagrams. Small, neat and simple.

http://www.david-anna.com/JazzGuitar/

Lawrie

Guitar Gear:
1968 Raven Semi Hollow
1970 Ovation Balladeer
SX STL-50
Roland Cube 60
Roland Microcube

Bass Gear:
SX SJB-75
Douglas WEB-825 NA
Markbass LMII
Bergantino AE112/HS210 Cabs
hanni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, iエm interested in those software too, because i want to learn more about music online and than i need this to send my homework, i tested a program like this and it was so........... sloooooooowwwwww.........sorry i do the same like paul, i use paint and word Laughing typing so fast you speak with 10 fingers is working, word translation to write in english/german is bad grrrrrrrr...... the german grama in is wrong Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: