PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm home

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeffrey_Burr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: I'm home Reply with quote

Wow I'm glad I found this place. Hi all. I've been hanging around at the wrong forums obviously. I can TALK to you guys about tone.

Are you aware there's armies of guitarists out there who would never dream of playing a single note without the distortion pedal on?

I have this JC77 that I'm tired of carrying around. I don't want to hear from all you Twin snobs either. Here, I'll say it before you do - I'm a total pussy. It weighs 45 pounds. Why do all this heavy lifting for fifty dollar gigs? I'm a guitarist not a wrestler. Do I have to say it again now? Pussy, I!

Anyhow, the problem I'm having with amps is that, for most guitarists, the whole point is "how does it sound when you turn it up to 11?" And this, from a DIY hi-fi site selling circuit board kits (they have one that's a guitar amp): "Looking at the standard for guitar amps (Marshall), you find that the power amp overload characteristics define the sound." Gosh, I can't tell you how tired I am of this type of thinking. I'm ready to get one of those amps for acoustic instruments. Anybody use/tried the AER Compact 60? Little box, large sound, big-ass price tag. I thought maybe I'd try my hand at a little DIY. How wrong.

Well. Hi everyone! How are you?
Skon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: I'm home Reply with quote

Jeffrey_Burr wrote:

Are you aware there's armies of guitarists out there who would never dream of playing a single note without the distortion pedal on?

well yes, coming from a heavy metal background I understand this a lot. All they do is get a mesa, and a guitar with those godawful sterile sounding "EMG" active pickups and think they have a good sound.

Well, at least it covers up the bad playing a bit....

But really, for a crystal clean sound, can you ever top the roland JC? Well, actually the roland cube amps have great clean sounds based on that too, so if you don't want to lug that around then I think the next best thing is a Cube 60 or even a Cube 30 depending on the size of the place you're playing at. They're not so heavy either!
Jazzy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I`ve tested a couple of AER amps, they sound really great. Especially on acoustic guitars. (listen to Sylvain Luc ).
My main amp is Fender Super Reverb(1976). I think this amp has the best sound for me. A very balanced sound. A very heavy amp, but it`s worth it. I recommend you to try one.
digijazz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the new Roland Cube 60 combo and very satisfied with the range of tones I can get from both of the channels. Its not heavy either and did not cost very much.

How about a Polytone Minibrute II ?? I have heard they are good also and used ones can be picked up cheaply enough.[/quote]
Jazzy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polytone is a great amp. I`ve tested the minibrute II a couple of times, but I have a Minibrute IV myself.
It sounds great, you get that Joe Pass and George Benson sound.
But overall, I think I`m more fond of vintage tube amps.
Jeffrey_Burr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I like other styles of music, some of them have alot of distorted guitars -- one of my favorites is Meshuggah, math-metal band from Sweden -- but for my own sound, I don't want to hear some intermodulation when playing voicings with minor seconds, major sevenths, minor ninths.

Somehow I've never felt like I could get a sound on the polytones. It always sounded veiled somehow, like there's a pillow in front of the speaker?

Raylinds, right on baby. Thanks for enjoying my mp3s. Yes, I was mic'ing the JC77 cabinet for all that music. I've had this amp since I was in junior high, and I think it's got a warmer sound than other JC77s I've tried. The only explaination I have is that the cabinet is "distressed" or "seasoned" or some other equally-dubious mumbo jumbo. The chorus is broken, the distortion is wimpy, I've given up re-soldering the reverb tank, it needs to be recapped but I'm so sick of carrying it around I don't know if I'll bother.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: