PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PWYH Diatonic Analysis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Play What You Hear" Course
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzwat8takes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: PWYH Diatonic Analysis Reply with quote

Hey folks, I was a bit confused with the fourth chord of G major scale in the Diatonic Analysis of PWYH. The course says (in add 11 section) that the fourth chord is Cmaj11. But if we look at the music notation, its actually Cmaj9(#11), which means chord of Cmaj9 and an altered 11th. I am still confused with that since I was just a neophyte actually to jazz. I hope you clear me up folks. Moreso, i also would like to know the possible chord progression in pentatonic scale? Is it the same with Major Scale? Since we spell minor pentatonic as 1 b3 4 5 b7, does it mean that cgord rprogression for this scale wwould be First chord:1 4 b7, Secind Chord:b3 5 1, Third Chord:4 b7 b3, Fourth Chord:5 1 4, and last chord:b7 b3 5.
jazzwat8takes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Igiro,

Thanks for the explanation regarding the fourth chord. Now I can have it as my guide. Regarding the pentatonics, I still didn't get clearly what you mean. Sorry, it just that I'm new to scaling. I hope you give a room of patience for me with this. Do you mean that we can't harmonize the notes in a pentatonic by forming triads among the notes in it? I have known a little that pentatonic are not so used in jazz but since this scale was not discuss in the PWYH, I was kinda hoping you can give me little explanation on how to harmonize the notes in pentatonics. Or what proper chord triad be used when you solo using a pentatonic. By the way Igiro, can you recommend books for me to buy which are heavy in theory for me to have full grasp of guitar jazz(e.g. scales, harmony, rhythm, modulations). I heard about that berklee books of leavitt. But I dont know which one to buy...

Thanks bro..
jazzwat8takes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Igiro for that answer. You guided me on where to start. We'll perhaps I'll be getting the Berklee books. I have seen it in sheetmusicplus.com and you think I should by the one with the CD or I can do the excercises in the book without the CD. Regarding Mark Levine's book, can I have the particular title of the book... Are you refering to the The Jazz Theory Book? Maybe this two books would keep me busy for this year. And its gonna be a long journey.. Thanks anyway for the recommendations...
TwoFiveOne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: iv chord Reply with quote

PlayJazzGuitar wrote:
Yes fig 28 is a typo and should indeed read Cmaj9(#11)
Thanks and I'll include in the next update of PWYH

Thanks!

Moderator, maybe we need a tacked Errata thread for things like this.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done, unfortunately Chris's response was 'moved' instead of copied (forum limitation). Confused

Fortunately this sort of thing doesn't come up very often, hence why the Errata thread hasn't existed until your suggestion. Wink

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
jazzwat8takes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iguru, can i Have the site it posted the Berklee 4 semester course of the 80s..
Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Play What You Hear" Course All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: