PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intonation with a wooden bridge?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yagel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Intonation with a wooden bridge? Reply with quote

Hi I just bought a AK85 ibanez guitar and got .010 strings with it ... Still they gave me a spare set of strings but they're .011. Now with a wooden bridge, what will happen if I change the thickness of the strings? Will it effect the intonation, and if it will, how am I going to intonate the guitar with a wooden brigde??
alfonso

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you I would slap on the 0.11's and find out, there certainly isn't anything wrong with a wooden bridge on a jazz box. Supposedly it adds warmth and depth and with the humbuckers you have, you would not want it to sound like a Rock guitar. It sounds like you don't care for the wooden bridge, maybe I'm mis-understanding you, but all the old Gibsons had wooden bridges, well I'll change that to most. If you think the gauge is gonna be too big for the slots on your bridge, I doubt it and it shouldn't change the intonation much, if any. Also, I just tried out one of those AK85's and I was truly impressed, but that's the only Artcore series that has impressed me, this is just my opinion, but you got a nice guitar, so I hope you don't start thinking about changing pickups, like others on this forum have.

hope this helps.
chordspinner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Tuning on wooden (fixed) bridge Reply with quote

My method of setting up a wooden bridge after changing gauge of strings is as follows:
1.) Install new strings placing wooden bridge in the exact same spot as before. If you can't see any marks on the top of the guitar, I use a couple of strips of masking tape before removing the bridge the first time...otlher types of tape can damage the finish.
2.) Bring the guitar back up to pitch and play it in....get the stretch out.
3.) The next step is to see if the bridge is in the best position for the best intonation. You do this by comparing a note on the fretboard, the 12th fret, or exactly half hay between the nut and the bridge, and a harmonic at the same location. Using a good tuner, with the guitar on a bench or on your lap, play each string, first as a harmonic over the 12th fret (lightly touch the string with a left finger while plucking it with right) then push down on the fret with the left hand while plucking it with right. Compare the two pitches and write down the differences....how many cents sharp or flat (if any). Do this for each of the six strings. Now look at your results. If the fretted note is flat to the harmonic, that means the bridge is farther from the nut than it should be. Visa versa: if the fretted note is sharp to the harmonic it is closer than it should be.
4.) With results in hand make decision if bridge needs to be moved and in which direction to correct the most discrepancies. (Don't try to move the bridge without releasing partially the tension on the strings as it could break or scratch the top of your guitar.) Also remember, moving the bridge will effect ALL of the strings to some degree. It has been my experience that rarely are wooden bridges 100% correct but you can get them pretty darn close.
Hope this helps. Good Luck!

"You're either at the gig or waiting to go to the gig."
ourway

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: intonation Reply with quote

Chordspinner is correct about not being 100% intonated. But in theroy the harmomics produced by using a wood bridge will supposedly offset any intonation. Install bridge as perviouly stated, I prefer 12's. Also you may want to readjust your truss rod. You will not need as much relief with 11's as you do 10's. You can play with a straighter neck ( if you have a light touch) Also readjusting you truss rod you will have to move your bridge to again to re intonate. Its also a good habit to purchase a few extra sets of strings all the same so ytou don't have to guess what was the last type you installed. Or a least keep the package in you case or gig bag.
ourway

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: intonation Reply with quote

Raylinds,
I agree with intonating both e strings. And letting the rest fall into place. I repalced my wooden bridge because I wanted better intonation. I used a Gibson adjustable bridge.What I didn't like was I had gotten more sustain and feedback due to the mass of the bridge on my Arch top. Ended up going back to the wooden bridge. I had read somewhere a Pro player had a post installed in his Archtop like a Violin would have under the bass side of the bridge? Supposedly to cut down on feedback. I have thought about it but havent had the time to try.

good day
ourway

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray,
Were the Benadetto A6 worth the change? And why the 250 k pots are these pickups single coils?
I have a Joe Pass Epi I bought about 6 years ago for $200.00 (guy needed money for divorce) had the pickups changed to Gibson 57 Classic. Don't think it was worth the $200. plus labor. Thought about changing just the neck to a Seymore Duncan Jazz.
Looking at a Eastman Archtop. But I have heard both pros and cons.They are reasonable enough.

SAteve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: