PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are we all guys?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rolland Harrison

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really don't have an opinion on the topic...But I've had my but kicked by lady pool players, lady bowlers, etc... Laughing ..

But I will say I have had an enjoyable 15 minutes reading this thread in it's entireity.. Laughing
jazzclif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was an interesting thread.

In my experience most of the lady string players I've known were violinists to cellists, probably because of what females usually did in their/my culture and just like the males they varied from not so good to flat out holy cow amazing.

For reasons of physical demand, guitar may not be the best instrument for women unless it's scaled down some, but there are plenty who can play on par with their male peers. I can't play acoustic or nylon as well as my archtops, and I'm much better on short scale instruments even though I'm a larger than average person.

I saw a list of male guitar players, a lot of the greats, in fact, but except for Ted Greene they all had recording careers of some sort. That's not much of a bellwether.

In my experience there are a lot more instrumental virtuosi of any musical stripe than the public is even slightly interested in paying attention to, let alone supporting. Not just in jazz, music in general.

Not just in music, actually - how many polymer chemists or thoracic surgeons can you name that we all know?

It was a lot better way to make money when I started out, and when I did, the old-timers told me the same thing about when they started.

For me, learning music was a 'street' experience, not a 'school' experience, so I wouldn't blame any female for staying out of some of the places I had to go to find work, make money and learn music.

I wanted to add something about barre playing that maybe wasn't said. I'm 63 and have been playing since I was about 11, I guess and played fulltime for decades. I don't gig out much anymore but do play solo fingerstyle about five hours or so every day just for amusement, and do take the occasional four or five hour solo instrumental job.

Most of this time, or at least more than half is spent more or less over a barre, but there isn't enough brute strength involved to create much callusing. I use my thumb more as a fulcrum, no pinching. The heavy lifting is done by wrist/forearm leverage with very little effort, but it's hard to put precisely how into words. Holding the guitar at about 45 deg helps.

And I switch to thumb over the sixth string if I'm tired or need the extra reach so that breaks it up some. I find myself in drop 3 and drop 2 voicings most of the time and they both work great over an index finger barre.

It doesn't seem to me the hand should get cramped playing barres, but I've read a lot of complaints about it on usenet. I've been concerned about the ergonomics of playing for a pretty long time since I didn't want to get to some point of physical deterioration from overuse that wouldn't permit me to play anymore. So far, so good.

Clif
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post jazzclif! Thumbs Up!

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: