PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching pentatonics question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Other Training & Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JakeJew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Teaching pentatonics question Reply with quote

A lot of my young students (12, 13) get really stuck when trying to learn all the positions of the pentatonic scale up and down the neck, even just memorizing the second one. They memorize the first one easily and we spend some time with that and many of them can get some good phrases going. When I want them to get the other ones down progress is often very slow, and they feel very uncomfortable making phrases with these other positions.

In addition to just having them play with the positions, I've tried some different things with different students depending on what I thought they could handle-

1. Giving them riffs and/or patterns to practice within the other positions (one position at a time)

2. Giving them awkward string skipping melodies to practice within the position

3. Looking at how the pentatonic works in string pairs up and down the neck (so they can see the patterns)

4. Trying to get them to see how you can play one riff in many different places on the fretboard

Maybe the process is just slower than I want it to be.

Does anybody have any ideas? I remember memorizing the pentatonics was a breeze, I have no idea what methods i used...
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like the largest cause of issue is the age group. That age has the attention span of a hampster if you don't keep them focused and practicing consistantly.

Good luck! (not an easy age)

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Phrygian Dominant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I've found that helps is to make 'em write it down. I've found writing it down helped some of my students. If they can read standard notation then make them write the scales out that way. If they don't read then ask them to bring some guitar grid paper to the next lesson and have them write out the scales on that. Just my 02 cents. Smile

The young ones can be difficult Mad
JakeJew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm thanks guys, good suggestions!

keep em coming
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Other Training & Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: