PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Guitar Scales Method Course

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Play What You Hear" Course
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: The Guitar Scales Method Course Reply with quote

Hi There,

I would like to know if any of you have purchased the guitar scales method course and what you think of it.
- How do you work with the progress map? Adapted it in any way?
- What are your results so far?
- Happy or disappointed?
- Any other comments...

I purchased it not so long ago. So far so good but I feel one might have to adapt the way they practice the program's excercises to fit their personal learning styles. Following the program word for word might not be all that productive.

Thanks for your input. Hope this helps potential buyers. It is a good program in my opinion but you really have to stick with it...practice everyday even if its just for 15 minutes. Regularity during the initial period of using the program is key as one needs to develop visual familiarity with certain shapes on the fretboard.
Arteinvivo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I bought it I think two years ago when I started again to play Jazz music. I must admit I had to learn everything again from the ground up because I had stopped to play for the past 10 years. At the beginning it helped me a lot and I must admit that the program is extremely well done. It beats everything that I have seen so far considering that you can input your own progression it's like a mini band-in-a-box. For the price I think every beginners should get it. The map is a good device but as everything you must be very disciplined. However, today I consider these tools as a poor choice mostly because you must practice with your guitar in your hand not with a computer. If you follow the program you must devote a lot of times in front of the computer which i don't recommend. It is much better to devote this time with the guitar in your hands.

A more productive alternative would be this method:
http://www.jazzlogic.com/index.html

Or just as good:
http://www.jazclass.aust.com/

Hope this helps

Arteinvivo.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the helpful post Arteinvivo.

I agree in that this is not really a course for jazz improvisation. It certainly assists improvisation from a technical standpoint. However, theory is minimal and creativity...well that no method can give you...one needs to develop that themselves by listening to the music and learning the language. The mini sequencer is helpful though and the program certainly helps with fretboard familiarity through scale patterns.

To summarize I would say this course gives one a good foundation. Anyone agree or disagree? Other comments on the program anyone?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted potential GSM users to note that you do practice this program with the guitar in your hand, except for one or two excercises. Just don't spend more than 30 mins a day doing excercises. The great thing about is that you start to see the fretboard in terms of degrees. Combine that with another method of knowing note names on the fretboard and thats powerful! Also, i have to say its less limiting than say...the CAGED system.
Arteinvivo

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is less limiting than say...the CAGED system ? I don't understand. The CAGED system is just a memory tool but quite effective.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The caged system enables you to see lead and chord patterns without much focus on chord tones or scale tones. What I mean to say is, with the CAGED system, you don't develop a mental map of the chord or scale degrees. Atleast this is my understanding from the not so thorough reading I did on the CAGED system.
singe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

propecia - http://www.bestrxpills.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Play What You Hear" Course All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: