PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello, All, Just started Play What You Hear Course

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
midivox

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Hello, All, Just started Play What You Hear Course Reply with quote

Hello All,
I just started the Play What You Hear Jazz Guitar Course. I have been playing and teaching guitar for 40 years. I started out studying classical guitar and playing guitar at anti drug workshops held in schools and churchs. I was the guitarist in my college Big Bands, both 1st and 2nd bands. I managed a coffeehop and got to book and jam with many of the folk stars of long ago, John Denver, etc.

I studued Arranging and Composition for Solo Jazz Guitar with Ted Greene for 5 years. Over the years I have met and learned from Laurendo ALmedia, Joe Pass, George Van Epps, Gene Leis, Mundel Lowe, and just about anyone else who ever gave a Master Class or a Guitar Workshop.

I brought 5 new guitars since Xmas and am doing lots of arranging and composing for a new teaching gig and new performing gigs.

Many days I can Play What I Hear, but not everyday. So liked the concept of Chris's course. I have just been jamming and getting ideas from the Introduction for the past few days. Tonight I printed out the course and have to go Super Wal Mart and get a giant binder to put it in tomorrow.

Happy Guitars
MidiVox
Songs Just 4 You Composing
www.healingmusic.net welcomes all
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome midivox!

Looks like you've had the opportunity to encounter some really great players....very cool! Thumbs Up!

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
PaulD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi midivox. Welcome. That's a very impresive list of players. Must have been great to study with such greats! Any stories or lessons you canb share?

Paul
midivox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Some Tips from the Legends. Reply with quote

Hi All, Paul
Yes, I have been blessed or lucky or whatever you want to call it to be in the right place at the right time to pick up some good guitar lore from some of the legends.

Gerorge Van Eps told me, over a cup of coffee. One of the advantages of playing a 7 string is that I do not need a bass player so I can just do a two person jazz combo with a drummer.

Mundal Lowe taught me how to do that thumb bass slide, where you hold a chord on the upper 5 strings on the guitar and then slide your picking hand thumb up on the neck to add a bass note and or slide on the low E in the same or different part of the neck.

Laurendo Almedia when I asked him for an arranging tip for solo guitar told me, the best one I can give you is always use an open string or two whenever possible. He also was kind enough to let me try out his GuitarOrgan or whatever it was called.

Joe Pass told me, 3 note walking chords are all you need to back a singer and then do a lot of partial barres for bright fills on the first 4 strings for constrast.

Ted Greene told me, if you are playing chord melody on a solo gig, you can play the same song and variations in all 12 keys and get through an entire set with just one tune.

Happy Guitars
MidiVox
Songs Just 4 You Composing
www.healingmusic.net welcomes all
Disco Volante

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow midivox - some great tips there! Thanks for sharing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: