PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chris Standring with the Jazzmasters in Sac town March 29th

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Show Dates & Appearances
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jomoguitar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Chris Standring with the Jazzmasters in Sac town March 29th Reply with quote

Hey all,

Chris will be performing with the Jazzmasters in my home town of Sacramento, CA on March 29th. This should be a great show with Gregg Karukas on keyboards, Shilts on sax and Chris Standring on guitar. I'm not sure about the rest of the group though. I have already purchased my tickets via pre-sales so I'll be there for sure. Although I'm not setting front and center, I'll be close. Hopefully I'll get a chance to meet Chris and get some pics.

For those interested, here is the link to purchse the tickets.
http://www.ticketweb.com/user/?region=xxx&query=search&interface=ticketweb&newhps=1&search=jazzmasters&x=0&y=0

And here is the local radio station listing for the show:
http://www.kssj.com/community_content/concerts.php

I hope to see someone else from the forum there.

Jon
alfonso

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jomoguitar,
Thanks for the heads-up on that concert as I didn't know anything about it. It would be really cool to meet Chris, we'll see. later
jomoguitar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The show with Jazzmasters including Chris Standring, Gregg Karukas and Shilts was awesome. The music was strictly Smooth Jazz without Jazz standards so this may not be of interest to some of the folks on in the forum.

Anyway, the three main musicians put on a tremendous display of their talents. The first half of the show centered around Chris, Gregg and Shilts playing tunes from each of their own solo albums. Chris played ‘I Can’t Help Myself’ and ‘Constellation’ from his Soul Express album and the audience loved every note. Aside from playing his own tunes, Chris played the guitar parts for the other two musicians which was a treat for me since I got to hear more of his playing. After the solo section of the performance was over, there was a break in the playing and then the three came back to perform for another 90 minutes with Jazzmaster tunes. The crowd of about 1000++ was really into the music and some danced to the grooves in front of the stage. Many times trough out the night the whole audience was on their feet moving the cool music these very talented musicians performed.

During the performance, Chris was spot on. Although there were plenty of times when he could have just took off and played some crazy solos, he just laid back and added his touch when needed. In a few occasions, Chris brought back imagines of Peter Framton with a Strat in hand and the old Talk Box tube in his mouth and surprised the crowd with some very tasty guitar licks from his mouth. I haven’t seen anyone use that thing in long while so it was cool to see Chris solo away with the toy.

Besides the Talk box, Chris’ bag of tricks included a Boss ME-50, an expression pedal twin Twin Reverbs, and his Benedetto and Strat guitars. Yeah, I took a peak of gear before the show. The tone from his Benedetto through his twin Twin Reverbs was awesome. Every note seemed to have a nice smooth and warm sound to it.

After the show I was able to meet Chris, get some stuff signed and take a quick pic with him. But, the folks at the venue were rushing him out so he had a to run before I had a real chance to chat with him. If I didn't have my daughter with me I would have hung out and chatted with him. Maybe next time.

In all it was a great show.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Show Dates & Appearances All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: