PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any 7-stringers???
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: 7 string guitar Reply with quote

Jimmy Bruno is the best living jazz guitarist (7 or 6 string).
antique_dream

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Wow! I stopped watching this thread for a while and now there are a lot of posts.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone, I will definitely look into the names you have suggested. Right now, I play with a low B. I was thinking of getting one of those "Drop D" tuners for the low string so that I could go back and forth from A to B. I want to learn how to use low A tuning, but I want it to be easy to switch back and forth. I have already found a cool way to do a three-octave major scale in one position, as well as some other cool rhythm techniques.

By the way, I use daddario chromes 11-65. My Ibanez has a Floyd Rose bridge and I'm not sure If it can take anything thicker. I would like to move up to 12's, though- with a 70 on the bottom.

I pose another question: does anyone know where I could get a 7 string hollow (jazz-style) guitar that I won't have to sell my soul for? I have only found custom shops so far and they are VERY expensive.

Thanks,
Funkmasta Nate
Markguitar1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Pizzerelli's Rule! Reply with quote

I saw Bucky and John together in the late 80's in NY in a small club WOW!
I think John was basically just starting to seriously gig w/ his amazing dad. Last year I saw John's trio in a theater in Santa Barbara CA. Not only is he an awsome player he is a great entertainer. He has some of the best b'tween songs banter and storries I've heard. The somewhat older audience went wild for the guy. You can sometimes catch them together as "The first Family of Cool" in NY. Also check out John's web site for his extensive touring sched. You wont be sorry!
Play On!
Marko
electric_chairman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: 7 string guitar Reply with quote

I am currently using Ernie Ball strings on my Ibanez GRX720BKS. I purchased individual strings to get the sizes I wanted. I'm using: A:074, E:064, B: 054, D:024plain, G:017, C:013, + F: 010. Try MusiciansFriend or Just Strings and check various manufacturers for a set that fits your needs.
I needed heavier stings to give me more contast between the Bass and Tenor. By buying individual strings I got 6-10 strings in a pack. Buying bulk packs usually results in a nice savings compared to buying 6 or more sets. I
use E:042, A:032 on my 6 string Gibson other strings same as my 7 string.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Ibanez AF207 that I got from (Jerry) Simms music in Columbia, SC, that I am very happy with. Like stated above, a 7-string is a great duo instrument...best with vocals, which is how I use it. The Ibanez is a very good instrument but I understand they are only in limited production...unless someone has heard differently? Jerry Simms has a book out on introductory 7-string guitar and it is very good. I think it is the one mentioned earlier, published by Mel Bay.
Someone mentioned Ron Eschete. He has a VERY interesting trio that plays in Southern Cal. He plays with a 6-string bass player, Todd Johnson, and a drummer. They sound like 6 guys when they get to going. When Todd is soloing, Ron plays bass lines and chords. When Ron is soloing, Todd plays (or course) bass lines, but also comps chords up high on the bass. What an incredible sound. They have 3 CD's out in this format, I think.
Nohands

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 7 STRING Reply with quote

#1 Stop screaming in the posts. (or check your CAPS LOCK)
#2 Geroge Van Eps Invented the 7 String Guitar in the late 30's And has been used primarly buy Jazzers and Big Band players long before the Band KORN or Shredder Steve Vai were even born.Geroge Van Eps

BITCHSLAP wrote:
I GOT A SEVEN STRING BUT I NEVER USE IT. ALL SO I THOUGHT OR IAT LEAST POPULAR CULTURE WOULD LEAD ME TO BELIEVE THAT SEVEN STRING WAS CUSTOM MADE FOR STEVE VAI. IF I AM WRONG LET ME KNOW.
ESPECIALLY IF THIS PREDATES HIM-Other Seven stringers are:Geroge Van Eps(the first 7 stringer as far ase i know)

Miles Davis (1926 - 1991)
proco5150

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out charlie hunter...he's one of my favorite guitarists of all time. he plays an 8-string novax guitar (3 bass strings/5 guitar tuned EAD-ADGBE). he plays bass and guitar at the same time in a very medeski, martin and wood funky jazz style. charliehunter.com. I'm looking to get an 8-string pretty soon, but for now i'm comping and doing bass lines on my 7 string ibanez.
ben7string

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I just found this (antique?) string but it grabbed my attention as I have been immersing myself in 7-string possibilities since I had one made for me two years ago by Brisbane (Australia) luthier Gabriel Ochoteco.

My angle is fingerstyle and, although my repertoire extends beyond the boarders of Jazz, I'm very aware that the "extra-string-thing" has been explored far more thoroughly in the Jazz field than elsewhere.

I am a long time admirer of Wes Montgommery, Pierre Bensusan and, of course, Martin Taylor. However, these days I find myself focusing my time much more on creating new angles myself than on listening to what has already been done and I wonder who else is out there (in this forum) on a similar track?

Cheers,

ben7string Cool
www.benedom.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: