PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

you tube

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodshedder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: you tube Reply with quote

I know this isn't guitar stuff but I am curious. Is it illegal for You tube to hold video clips of artists without their consent. And also is there anyway anay of the music companies could come after us for viewing these videos, kinda like they did with napster.
alfonso

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodshedder,
I had uploaded a bunch of videos on youtube.com, some of them had copyright infringement and some didn't. When I started to upload, I was stopped in my tracks a couple of times. Most were let on through, then they dis-abled my account. I really think that's all they can really do. Legally they would have to prove that you knowingly knew the videos were copyrighted, I really didn't know but I really didn't care either as I just wanted to share some videos. There's a bunch of videos posted on there now that violate the copyright laws. Mine was one of the biggest, I guess. Oh the only warning I ever got was from a nosey 14 year old girl. I told her if she worked for Google or Youtube to remove the ones that violated copyright, then I read her profile and just chalked it up to some kid minding someone else's business. So after having an account for almost two years, they gave me the boot. Laughing later
woodshedder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: you tube Reply with quote

I was very curious. I have viewed some videos on you tube of old songs in concert by a big pop band. I was wondering if I am not downloading them and just viwed them once on You tube is that in violation. I don't want to be doing this if it is. I remember not too long ago the napster thing. With napster you could download songs. With You tube you can just view them I believe with streaming video, they don't download to your computer. How do we even know whcih ones are copyrighted or not?
Bjorn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: you tube Reply with quote

Quote:
woodshedder wrote:
they don't download to your computer.

actually there is a way to download the youtube videos, but as a start it requires that one uses Mozilla firefox, and not internet explorer.
Quote:

How do we even know whcih ones are copyrighted or not?

Maybe Im missing something, but why worry..??

Bjørn.
surfrider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently wanted to see a Pat Metheny YouTube clip that I liked. It was him playing Lone Jack with Larry Grenadier and Jeff Ballard from a while ago. When I returned to the URL it said that it was removed by Pat Metheny. He has a legitimate right to do this legally.

HOWEVER,

If I were Pat Metheny or any other musician or publisher, I would be flooding YouTube with my own material. FREE ADVERTISING!!!!!! Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny, you get my drift. Expose the artform. Museums figured out this problem a long time ago. They were worried that there would be copyright infringement on their images from their collections. What really happened was more people went to and supported museums. People wanted to see the real thing.

Pat Metheny certainly has the right but the wrong idea. He certainly got plenty of $$$ from me this year. I bought his two latest releases with Brad Mehldau and took my girlfriend to his concert. Two fifth row orchestra a $75 a pop. Mr. Metheny's clips on YouTube made me want to see him live, again. I saw him twenty two years ago when I was in grad school.

I do not think this diatribe will ever reach Mr. Metheny, however, if I was a musician, whether amateur or big time, I would be flooding YouTube with my imagery and music. FREE ADVERTISING.

Just check Nonesuch's sales records this year and its stock price if it is publicly held.

Yep, free advertising.
alfonso

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfrider,
Wow!! That's quite surprising that Pat Metheny would do that with all the jazz players who pay for his books, CD's etc. It just don't make good business sense but like you said it's his right. I don't know how youtube.com determines who their gonna cutoff cause some of the clips that I had on my account are still on their by other posters. Hell I had a couple of really good ones by Pat Metheny & Ulf Wakenius that were taken off my account as I said before my account was disabled and I don't have a problem with that but for a major force in the jazz guitar world to have his videos removed is pretty small. I'm not sorry to say it either so I hope Pat Metheny sees this or hears about it maybe he will educate me on something I'm missing. later

surfrider wrote:
I recently wanted to see a Pat Metheny YouTube clip that I liked. It was him playing Lone Jack with Larry Grenadier and Jeff Ballard from a while ago. When I returned to the URL it said that it was removed by Pat Metheny. He has a legitimate right to do this legally.

HOWEVER,

If I were Pat Metheny or any other musician or publisher, I would be flooding YouTube with my own material. FREE ADVERTISING!!!!!! Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny, you get my drift. Expose the artform. Museums figured out this problem a long time ago. They were worried that there would be copyright infringement on their images from their collections. What really happened was more people went to and supported museums. People wanted to see the real thing.

Pat Metheny certainly has the right but the wrong idea. He certainly got plenty of $$$ from me this year. I bought his two latest releases with Brad Mehldau and took my girlfriend to his concert. Two fifth row orchestra a $75 a pop. Mr. Metheny's clips on YouTube made me want to see him live, again. I saw him twenty two years ago when I was in grad school.

I do not think this diatribe will ever reach Mr. Metheny, however, if I was a musician, whether amateur or big time, I would be flooding YouTube with my imagery and music. FREE ADVERTISING.

Just check Nonesuch's sales records this year and its stock price if it is publicly held.

Yep, free advertising.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: