PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greetings from a Chilean Noob around here!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mozz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Greetings from a Chilean Noob around here!!! Reply with quote

Hi There!!!

Let me indroduce myself first.

My name is Paul Evans, a guitar enthusiast from Chile. I was raised in Brazil till I was 17, and then I've stablished grounds for a while (I'm 36)

yep, you could say "Brazil! What a great place for beiong in touch with Bossa Nova, many culture aspects and diversity related with music!"

But sadly I was "young dumb and full of cum" Confused

I started playing when I was 15 (well, had my first Axe) and as many youngsters got my focus on Rock and Heavy Metal.

Curiously, I dug in that time, Scott Henderson, Allan Holdsworth, John Scofield which are for me one of the three most inspiring guitar players ever, not leaving behind masters as Joe Pass, Pat Martino, Pat Metheny and others.

Well, I've been self taught for all these years (almost 20!) had a couple of teachers who I couldn't like or found "unorganized" non methodical for teaching.

Finally I made up mi mind, and as a workin person (as many of us), the problem on having clases was "pace", your personal pace it's a must, you can't schedule a unmoveable class every - for instance - Thursday after work, if on Tue's or Mon's you're more willing to learn/study.

Yep, that's a major issue that we get "old" and have such a little time to dedicate ourselves for studying, plus having the correct energy and availability. All of this from a non professional's POV.

I had major GAS issues Shocked (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) and I've finally decided not to spend any more money on Gear, but lessons, on my behalf, it's been the most intelligent decicion i've ever made concerning playing the guitar.

Looking here and there, I've seen many "online courses" offering the sky and above and I considered laughable, "improving without any efforts?" c'mon!. Hence, I was a little skeptical on online courses and I almost purchased another course, with books DVD's the whole shebang.

But no, Jazz is (even that I don't fancy Supermarket Jazzy Tunes) still one of the best's schools on all matters, not focusing on "guitar juggling and gym" but on getting the proper phrase for the proper chord and such.

Finally, by surfing the net I found Chris Standring and his courses, I read all the contents and suscribed to his "mini lessons", took the test and honestly, having almost $5.000 bucks in gear, getting his course, it's a major (and obvious) step.

I ordered both GME and PWYH, since I took the test and plus, wrote an e-mail to Chris, I have some gaps that would be fixed on GME, and then proceed to PWYH. Even that the "phrases" on PWYH aren't too exciting, they really (AFAIK) focus on that, developing your own phrasing and playing what you hear.

Nowadays I'm waiting to get my copy of both CD's, I'm really eager to start from scratch and fix my weaknesses.

And here I am, a 36 yrs-old hemophiliac (it's a major crippling disease) and fighting every day to get over that beautiful (and honestly, abused) instrument called guitar.

I've got a website (still starting on it) called www.guitar.cl and it's focused to write articles and related with guitars & gear and try to teach many things that aren't available around here concerning gear.

I'd like to wih you al a great day, sorry for being too extense, and hope learning from you as well as I'm commited to learn from Chris' Courses.

Ah! "Mozz" is a nick taken from Mozart Mello (mozartmello.com) check some of his videos a youtube

All the best, many riffs 4 ya

Paul Evans
www.guitar.cl
PaulD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welocme Paul. I now live in Chicago, but I was born in Argentina, so between the 2 of us we pretty much have the southern half of the continent covered. There are lots of great people here, so stick around!

Paul
Mozz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulD wrote:
Welocme Paul. I now live in Chicago, but I was born in Argentina, so between the 2 of us we pretty much have the southern half of the continent covered. There are lots of great people here, so stick around!

Paul

Thanks! Indeed i've seen a very good vibe around here, specially the Admin who answers all questions as well.

And do not worry, I'm not gonna ask dumb questions such as:

"How can I boost my solos"

"What's better, rosewood or maple fingerboards"

"Do I really need to learn music notation?"

etc..

First and foremost as a power forum user at a couple of local forums, I'm gonna usea search before asking a question already answered.

hey, if you speak or still have sum comprehension on Spanish, visit us at www.guitar.cl/foro/, we're kinda' nice guys too.

Although here you seem more patient Lol!!!

Chao "tocayo"

Paul Evans
www.guitar.cl
Bjorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey and wellcome Paul....

So, where were you raised in Brasil...??

I recently gratuated on a conservatory in Sao Paulo, I was the for allmost 6 years, fantastic...!!!
Oh, and I got to do some master classes and a privat lesson with Mozart on IGT. (GIT in Brasil), What a tehnique monster, totaly amazing.....

Well,

Later...........

Bjørn.

Last edited by Bjorn on Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Paul,

Glad you could get in with the way the system had been behaving. I did get your email but thought I'd just respond here.

Again welcome! Wink

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Mozz!
barnpass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome..
Mozz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thak you all for your kind welcoming, This week my GMS and PWYH arrive and I'm exited and eager to sit down each day and study at least a bit of it.

Baby steps, but sure ones.

Thanks again

Paul E
Stgo-Chile
PaulD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great Mozz! Keep us posted on your progress!

Paul
hanni

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi mozz and welcome at this nice place here....... Very Happy
Mozz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanni wrote:
hi mozz and welcome at this nice place here....... Very Happy

Nice indeed! I'm amazed how kind people are here!!!

yep, I get that patience sometimes lacks when people ask obviuos Q's, but I still see and sense comradeship around.

I'll be posting my advance in the proper forum and hope sharing sum questions, ideas on Chris' Course.

BTW I'm an Intermediate rather than begginer, but with tons of gaps (theory wise) that's why I rather starting from scratch and advance to PWYH afterwards, for the very first time I'm gonna be more systematic, I'm 36 and I have a goal up to my 40's to to crack up my skull and shove this info correctly.

have a grea weekend y'all

Paul E.
www.guitar.cl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: