PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pat Metheny in Osaka

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzplease

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Pat Metheny in Osaka Reply with quote

Yep, I saw Pat Metheny in Osaka!

It was awesome. we dragged him back out for 3 encores, haha. I felt almost guilty. But not really.

I missed the first 15 mins cos the damn gig started at 7pm! Anyway, I walked in to the gig with Metheny and pianist Brad mehldau playing a number of duets, and also trading solo pieces. Really beautiful.

Then the combo came on and the pace picked up a bit. They played pieces from their recent CD. Unfortunately, I found Metheny's guitar was too reverby and it lost clarity. Thats what it seemed to me anyway. I couldnt really hear each individual note, and when I closed my eyes, i wouldve thought he was about a hundred yards further away from me. Nevertheless, that was only on his archtop.

His midified guitar was absolutely ripping. He even played a ballad on the midi guitar, which was very beautiful and reminicent of some of the solos on Secret Story. I was actually able to pick out certain licks that were the same as on Secret story. That was cool for me - being able to see things that have stuck with him for so many years.

Another of the highlights for me was his performance on his Pikasso guitar. Started out solo and then Mehldau joined the performance half way through in a very natural move, contrasting the fast tight rhythm of the guitar with floating melodies on the piano.

The drummer was also phenomenal. He took one solo that lasted about 10 minutes and really blew me away.

Great gig!

"Temptation,
Temptation,
Temptation.
I just can't resist."
T. W.
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: