PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

flautista?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr. beaumont

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: flautista? Reply with quote

for some reason (and it has nothing to do with recently seeing "the anchorman" again) i can't get enough of jazz flute playin'. who are some players/albums i should be checking out?
(already hip to bobby jaspar, herbie mann, jerome richardson and james spaulding....there's gotta be more out there...)
“For the guitar is the most unpredictable and least reliable musical instrument in existence...and also the sweetest, the warmest, the most delicate, whose melancholic voice awakes in our soul exquisite reveries.”

Andres Segovia
nezumi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moe koffman.

his "curried soul" has been the theme song on one of Canada's public radio flagship programs for decades.

he also played the theme music for the kids' TV program "the friendly giant" (sniff, i loved that show...sitting in the rocking chair by the fire.....)

http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/moekoffmanquartet/discography
chordspinner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Joe Farrell on Chick Corea's albums "Light as a Feather" and "Return to Forever"...with Stanley Clarke and Airto.
Anything that Hubert Laws does. My favorite is "In The Beginning"...with Steve Gadd, Ron Carter, Clare Fisher...et al.
You would really like Paul Horn. His 50's and 60's stuff is really great. Some of his later stuff isn't "jazz" per se, but is very good flute music.
I also really like James Moody's flute stuff.
Regards.

"You're either at the gig or waiting to go to the gig."
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Valentin!! He has lots of albums. I especially like his recording of
the tune " I loves you Porgy".
steve

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jane Bunnett

If you've never heard her send you email address as a PM, otherwise - check her out!
mr. beaumont

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, thanks all. i forgot about moody and valentin!-- and i'm gonna have to check out bunnet and horn, not hip to them yet.

and moe kaufmann, pride of canada! i got a record with him somewhere...prob. with rob mcconnell-- but he doesn't pick up the flute-- stays on sax. gotta do a little more hunting:)
“For the guitar is the most unpredictable and least reliable musical instrument in existence...and also the sweetest, the warmest, the most delicate, whose melancholic voice awakes in our soul exquisite reveries.”

Andres Segovia
hanni

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ian anderson (tull) is great too, he has a frind in my area and he makes a lot of concerts here
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: