PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newb on board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bfloyd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Newb on board Reply with quote

Hello everyone. Obviously, I am new to the forum and new to jazz guitar. I have been playing guitar for about 30 years now but always playing basic rock. I guess I finally matured into jazz:). I just purchased an Ibanez AF75. I have to say that I completely know nothing about jazz playing and only know of a few players such as Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, George Benson, etc. I am also finding that there are several sub genres in jazz music. What kind of jazz do the above mentioned players fall into? Also, being nothing more than a TAB reader, how much TAB is available in jazz guitar music? Should I consider learning standard notation? Thanks.
ourway

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the board!
There are numerous books that contain Tab for Jazz guitar players. Many of the great players from what I have read did not read. Will reading make you a better player? Probably. I'm sure it won't make you a worst player. So the real question is how much do you want to limit your self. Unless you plan on leaving the planet real soon pick up a book and learn something. Remember anything is possible with growing comprehension!
MorganS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi welcome,

I have to say that the man reason people learn standard notation is to play in a band, and learn the right way to play music. Theres never going to be tabs for everything. Learning to read will help everyone in the long run. Reading and sight reading are totaly different though. Its modertly easy to learn to read. It's alot harder to sight read. Depends where you want to go and what you want to accomplish.

Hope I helped

Morgan
bfloyd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome. I guess I am concerned about knowing standard notation or not because I want to begin to look for a teacher. I don't know if teachers teach in standard notation only, or if they teach in TAB as well . . .
MorganS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bfloyd wrote:
Thanks for the welcome. I guess I am concerned about knowing standard notation or not because I want to begin to look for a teacher. I don't know if teachers teach in standard notation only, or if they teach in TAB as well . . .

Teachers come and go but your knoladge will stay. Finding a teacher who meets your needs is a different story intirely.

1 think to yourself, what do YOU want to accomplish
2 think about what you want to learn

Teachers widely vary. There are good teachers and bad teachers. Your goals will set who you will be. If you want to be a serious jazz musician, reading standard notation is very importaint. If your playing for fun on the weekends it might not be as importiant.

Many Jazz guys and serious guitat guys look down on tabs. I know from experience, when I;d play something and they'd ask where I learned it.

If you want to learn standards, not all of them are going to be on tab. Sure if you have a knoladgeable teacher he can make a tan for you. Do you want to have your teacher make tabs for every song you do?

Its all about what you want!

So Later

Morgan
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My teacher uses Tab for chords , and notation for lines

Get a real book and start picking out some tunes
it's not too hard , start with some easy standards
I'm not talking about sight-reading here ...
slowly is fine , it's all I do , you're ear is more important
you have to internalise these tunes anyway
you'd look silly reading on a gig !

Don't get hung up on the reading , Art Tatum didn't read too well ...
Main thing , get a great teacher , one you get on with,
and all will become clear grasshopper

Welcome aboard
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum! Since you will need to take the jump into
learning more complicated harmony and difficult melodies that come with
jazz tunes, you might as well learn some note reading. It's not that much more difficult at a basic level than tab, just different. Start with tunes you are familiar with if that makes it easier.
Just my opinion, you need to get away from the tab melodies into standard
notation. Might not seem like it now, but it will be easier in the long run.In
jazz you can find almost anything you want in lead sheet form, but not tab.
mr. beaumont

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i was your teacher, i'd start you off with TAB and chord charts, if that's what you knew-- but i'd get you reading right away.
“For the guitar is the most unpredictable and least reliable musical instrument in existence...and also the sweetest, the warmest, the most delicate, whose melancholic voice awakes in our soul exquisite reveries.”

Andres Segovia
Fingerpicker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think learning to read music depends on what your goals are. I've been a reader as long as I can remember, and I think theoretical ideas are much easier to understand using standard notation as compared with TAB. TAB shows you where to put your fingers but not why, where as standard notation gives you clues as to why (but not where).

Besides, standard notation is much better way to communicate with the sax man and the piano player. Wink
mr. beaumont

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think if your goal is to play and understand jazz, reading is only going to make your life easier.
“For the guitar is the most unpredictable and least reliable musical instrument in existence...and also the sweetest, the warmest, the most delicate, whose melancholic voice awakes in our soul exquisite reveries.”

Andres Segovia
bfloyd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Many great replies. I already know how to read music as I play the flute as well. I just never read music with the guitar. I don't know what positions would work best for what. I'm sure I would catch on quickly seeing how I already know the staff. I believe it is in my best intent to learn standard notation. Can somone recommend a good note reading book for guitar to get me up to speed? Thanks again to everyone!
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No-brainer about the reading issue,then.
mr. beaumont

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bfloyd wrote:
Thanks everyone. Many great replies. I already know how to read music as I play the flute as well. I just never read music with the guitar. I don't know what positions would work best for what. I'm sure I would catch on quickly seeing how I already know the staff. I believe it is in my best intent to learn standard notation. Can somone recommend a good note reading book for guitar to get me up to speed? Thanks again to everyone!

A Real Book

I'm not being facetious...the heads of the great standards are great practice for sight reading, AND, you learn great songs in the process.

for reading a little more above and below the staff, check out fernando sor's classical studies. again, nice pieces of music to boot, and good reading workouts...

Andres Segovia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: