PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Songs for Ellen by Joe Pass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazzapprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Songs for Ellen by Joe Pass Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am a jazz enthusiast.
I recently learned that Joe Pass(my idol) recorded his last album, Songs for Ellen, on a classical guitar.
It has become my favorite album ever, now.

This to me completely opened the possibilities for my playing style.
I've been playing nylon string since my early 20's.
I'm almost 50 and have learned a thing or two-classical guitar-Sor, Bach, Lauro, etc.
I love classical music...but sometimes I just get bored. The pieces I play
are fun but stagnant, predictable and difficult, did I say boring?... not all the time. My point is that the discipline takes the air out the fun for me.
I can't enjoy the tune because I'm focused on technique. I am also on a quest to learn to improvise on chord changes.

A few years ago I took some lessons with a real cool cat here in south OC California, Dave Cross, and he captured my enthusiasm for jazz guitar on my nylon.

Anyway, I love Songs for Ellen and I want to transcribe some of his tunes.
Does anyone know if this wheel has been invented.
I'd hate to spend days transcribing when I can buy the sheets, etc.
If anyone has transcribed or give me pointers on this specific album,
I'd really, really appreciate it. Really!

By the way I am new to the forum and I check regularly.
I'm usually shy about asking questions and posting comments but maybe
...I think I can contribute a thing or two and come out and play sorta speak.... Thanks!
Very Happy

Jazzapprentice
"Of all the arts, music alone shares with great mystical literature the power of waking in us a response to the life-movement of the universe: brings us—we know not how—news of its exultant passions and its incomparable peace.” Evelyn Underhill
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man, welcome!

I moved your thread to a chat area (no biggie).

But by all means don't be shy here! This is THE place to not worry about ego. We try to keep them under control so people can ask and share what they wish without hopefully getting flamed for it!

Razz

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
mr. beaumont

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, everyone here is pretty cool...i believe there's a a chinese proverb that goes something like this...

"he who asks a question is ignorant for a minute, he who never asks is ignorant for a lifetime..."

there's a lot of knowledge on this board-- tap into it, and WELCOME!
“For the guitar is the most unpredictable and least reliable musical instrument in existence...and also the sweetest, the warmest, the most delicate, whose melancholic voice awakes in our soul exquisite reveries.”

Andres Segovia
Fingerpicker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, jazzapprentice. If you like jazz on CG, check out Charlie Byrd. I saw him back in the '70-s and he blew my wig off with what he was doing on nylon. It got me interested in CG.

I'm self-taught on classical technique but I love the sound and feel off nylon for all kinds of music. Ever tried playing AC/DC tunes on CG? Wink
Jazzapprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Songs for Ellen by Joe Pass Reply with quote

Gorecki,

I hope my favor (below) doesn't get lost in the thread.
If it does, should I repost in a different topic?
Thanks,

Anyway, I love Songs for Ellen and I want to transcribe some of his tunes.
Does anyone know if this wheel has been invented.

"Of all the arts, music alone shares with great mystical literature the power of waking in us a response to the life-movement of the universe: brings us—we know not how—news of its exultant passions and its incomparable peace.” Evelyn Underhill
Jazzapprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingerpicker wrote:
Welcome, jazzapprentice. If you like jazz on CG, check out Charlie Byrd. I saw him back in the '70-s and he blew my wig off with what he was doing on nylon. It got me interested in CG.

I'm self-taught on classical technique but I love the sound and feel off nylon for all kinds of music. Ever tried playing AC/DC tunes on CG? Wink

Fingerpicker,

My favorite CB CD is Solo Flight. What a cool recording that is. The pieces are easy to play also. I can play a couple of tunes from his cd. AC/DC I don't know about. It's hard for me to get past the ....noise.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Songs for Ellen by Joe Pass Reply with quote

Jazzapprentice wrote:

No way man, that's exactly what you want to do...transcribe it!!! It is the single most educational means of learning the tunes *correctly* (not someone elses botched trans job), understanding what makes them work and for dessert will teach you more on how Joe thought and will inherently put some of his tools in your toolbox. Wink

I'm extremely serious! Transcribing has huge benefits! Just learning the tunes from lead sheets will teach you next to nothing in comparison.

Give it a shot! Thumbs Up!

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gotta check out Gene Bertoncini for jazz on CG. He's my fav.
Unbelievable harmonizations! Check out his solo Cds especially.
Jazzapprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzerchick wrote:
You gotta check out Gene Bertoncini for jazz on CG. He's my fav.
Unbelievable harmonizations! Check out his solo Cds especially.

thank you jazzerchick.
I think I will.
A while back I never thought there were cats playing nylon but I guess I wasn't really listening.
I will check out some of his tunes this weekend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: