PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

trigger finger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robbro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: trigger finger Reply with quote

Hi ,just curious has any body had trigger finger, and if so how or did you have it treated , Iam just starting to get it in the little finger of my left hand . I understand it can get very bad . any info will help. thanks ..bob
nezumi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: trigger finger Reply with quote

BiteLip
JAWellcome

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: trigger finger Reply with quote

Bob,

I'm sorry, but I don't presently have any helpful information to provide you, but I will do some research, and if I come up with anything that might be of help, I'll forward it on to you.

Best regards,

Last edited by JAWellcome on Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
JAWellcome

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

I checked "The Merck Manual of Medical Information, Second Home Edition", and found a short article on Trigger Finger. I scanned it, but I don't know how to attach a jpeg picture to this post. If someone will tell me how to do it, I'll attach it to a following post. Otherwise, all I can say is that it is on page 398 of the Merck Manual, and is described as a condition where "the finger locks when one of the tendons that flex the finger becomes inflammed and swollen." Treatment can range from physical therapy, perhaps injections into the tendon sheath, all the way up to surgery. Therefore, as lgiro suggests, this, in my opinion, really isn't something for you to try and self-treat. You should get it checked by your doctor, particularly since, on another page of the Merck Manual, there are several other conditions of the fingers that, although they LOOK similar to Trigger Finger, are not the same, and are treated completely differently (for example, Mallet Finger, Swan-Neck Deformity, Boutonniere Deformity, etc.).

Good luck. Hopefully it won't need anything more than a few weeks of giving it some rest and relaxation.

Last edited by JAWellcome on Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
JAWellcome

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

I found a Mayo Clinic article on Trigger Finger that is available to read on their web site. Here is the link:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/trigger-finger/DS00155

Best wishes,
robbro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: trigger finger Reply with quote

Thanks every one for the help .I will explore the alternate medical sources first, I've had good results from accupuncture in the past , iam going on a trip for a week soon and will leave my guitar behind so that the finger can rest. thanks again Bob
bluestraveler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: trigger finger Reply with quote

robbro wrote:
Hi ,just curious has any body had trigger finger, and if so how or did you have it treated , Iam just starting to get it in the little finger of my left hand . I understand it can get very bad . any info will help. thanks ..bob

I am curious how you have treated your finger problem and whether you have had any success. The index finger on my fretting hand has not been locking up like what is described for trigger finger. Instead it has a tendency to pull itself in towards the palm. This has been going on for a couple of years. I think it is inflamation related because the symptom is relieved when I ice it down for 10 minutes after playing. I play about 2 hours a day 7 days a week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: