PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi. I'm new.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeremyA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Hi. I'm new. Reply with quote

Hello, everyone. I've been lurking here for a while and have found tons of useful information, so I decided to join.

I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions for the other forums, but right now what I'm wondering is, do any of you use P2P file sharing programs to download jazz? I've been using SoulSeek for a long time and it's great, but there's not a whole lot of jazz on there, and there's even less at 320 bitrate (Older recordings are low enough quality as it is. I hate to compound the problem by downloading <320 bitrate mp3s.)

Any suggestions?
Jazzy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy the albums Wink
That`s my best suggestion.
PaulD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JeremyA,

Sorry, I can't answer your question, but welcome to the forums!

Paul
JeremyA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm a completist. There are a lot of out-of-print albums, limited edition box sets, unreleased takes, imports, etc. that just aren't easy to find on CD.

Also, in addition to being a struggling musician, I'm a college student. So I'm lucky if I can scrape together enough for my weekly supply of ramen. Haha.
hanni

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi and welcome to this nice place Very Happy
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Do you collect vinyl?
Fingerpicker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy, be careful! Ramen can become a way of life, especially if you get into the exotic imported varieties. I first encountered ramen in Korea, and now, 40 years later, it's what's for breakfast.

And no, the 12-step programs don't help. You've been warned. Twisted Evil
JeremyA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone.

lgiro: A whole lot of early stuff has never been reissued on CD, like a lot of the Ellington recordings for Okeh that are now owned by Sony. There are a lot of alternate takes and stuff, too, that are only available as part of huge, expensive box sets. The Duke Ellington Centennial Edition is a good example. Many of the tracks on it aren't available anywhere else but the box set contains 24 discs and costs around $400!

jazzerchick: I used to collect vinyl but I had to sell my collection to help pay tuition a couple of years ago. Even if I could afford to start again, there aren't really any good record stores in my area, and I'm wary of buying records online because I can't personally check their condition. Unfortunately, there are a lot of great records that haven't been reissued on CD yet, especially stuff from the '20s.

Fingerpicker: I fear it may be too late for me. Fortunately, I have a family who is very supportive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: