PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Active or passive? Piezo, magnetic, or hybrid?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Polling Place
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Active or passive? Piezo, magnetic, or hybrid?
Mags only, passive
66%
 66%  [ 6 ]
Mags only, active
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Piezo only, active
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Hybrid mag/pi, active
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Hybrid mag/pi, passive
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

dave251

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Active or passive? Piezo, magnetic, or hybrid? Reply with quote

I guess I'm trying to figure out how "traditional" the forum members are here regarding the electronics in their instruments. That is, is the traditonal, passive magnetic system preferred, or would the player be interested in newer technology...such as piezo based systems, or hybrid mag/pi systems....

I can't seem to get the poll to work...so here's some options, and I'd like to get some comments on why you prefer the system you are using, or thinking about using.

For example, would you like to have the "acoustic" sound that piezos can add? Or do you PREFER the darker, more midband passive mag setup? Why? Because it's traditional? or because that's the sound you hear in your head? Or do you dislike piezos for some of the tonality they bring to the table?

I'm just kind of looking for a consensus "jazz" tone, if there is one.

Thanks.....
Fingerpicker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am playing a Taylor T5 through either an amp or a PA depending on the gig. I like the sound of the neck Piezo for a nice mellow jazz sound. I also like to vary the tone with other combinations.

The T5 has a piezo in the neck and in the bridge along with a stacked humbucker pickup 2 " in front of the bridge. I do a wide variety of music so this flexibility is important to me.

I have a Roland Cube 60 on order. The reviews I've read indicates that this amp is very flexible and would also increase my options. However, the "clean" channel demos I've heard sound very good to me. I'm sure I'll have more to say after about a month of play (and I do mean play!!! Very Happy )
dave251

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FP...unless Taylor has changed their specs...there's not a piezo in a T5...there are two mags, one hidden under the end of the FB, the one between the FB and bridge, as you described...and a low impedance "body sensor"( which is magnetic) about midaway between the bridge and the butt end of the guitar.

All of the T5's I've seen are set up this way. Of course, it does have an active system. Nice guitars though.
Fingerpicker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably right. I guess I should read the spec sheet. That's what happens when you listen to the salesman.

But then I tuned him out and listened to the guitar. Very Happy
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I converted this into a poll.

Part of the problem in dealing with jazzboxes is going active creates a problem because batteries need to be used and on hollow bodies not intended for it purposes a problem in storing them. Otherwise, I use Active most of the time if given a choice.

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Fingerpicker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the batteries. I use a Peavey Cirrus BPX which eats 2 9V batteries in 40 hours. I need a screwdriver to change them.

The T5 has a much better system. It uses a single 9v in a holder that I can open with my fingers. It also has an battery level led to tell you when it's time to change.

I use both guitars several times a week so storage isn't an issue. I think the benefits of active pickups more than make up for the drawbacks.
cadence

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Godin Jazz Multiac which I traded for my Eastman back in July that had multiple output jacks. One was just for a passive mini humbucker, the other was for a blend between piezo under the bridge and active minihumbucker.

The active/piezo was fun to mess with but for anything serious I would use the passive minihumbucker. I think that sound compliments the way I play best, and like you said it is the sound I hear in my head.

That said though, I liked the acoustic tone of my Eastman enough that Iput an old an old Benedetto floating pickup on it since it has a more acoustic sound that alot of other pickups. I am not a fan of the active pickup sound in general I guess, at least for my own playing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Polling Place All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: