PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boss Micro BR for Improvisation?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Recording Studio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzbox

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Boss Micro BR for Improvisation? Reply with quote

So lately I've realized my practice time could really benefit by having some backing tracks to improvise over. I have a laptop and I've tried just about every program, and combo of programs out there. I find that by the time I'm done plugging cables and changing software settings I've lost my vibe, train of thought....

This got me thinking about the old days when I had my Tascam 4 track. It was so instant! I figured there must be something more portable than a 4 track and I found the Boss Micro BR while browsing through a music catalog. I figure I can load all my backing tracks on their and just plug and play. Does anyone have any experience with the Boss units? Anyone else frustrated by using a computer to improvise with? What did you do?
jazzplease

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me again, haha. I do recommend it for practice. Yeah, you could record your backing tracks from any program right onto it and then just use it for practice.

The way I would do that basicly is either make an mp3 of the whatever backing track on your computer and then load it onto your BR, or record from the computer out onto the BR and then convert to mp3 on the BR. Its pretty cool like that. Really versatile.

Then if you want to record a solo over the backing track, you could convert the mp3 to "track" format and export it to a "song file". Then you could use all the 4 track functions from there.

Yes it saves time for my practice. And actually Im jst back from my lunch hour which I spent in a cafe converting songs i recorded to mp3 form. Later Im going to move those to my computer and then delete the original files off my BR.

So if you need that kind of mobility then buy the BR. If you dont, then dont fall for its sexiness! Buy the bigger Boss 4 track or 8 track. Its just as versatile or more - you can record more than one track at a time. That annoys me sometimes. Like when I want to record with a friend.

"Temptation,
Temptation,
Temptation.
I just can't resist."
T. W.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Recording Studio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: