PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting gigs.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeremyA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Getting gigs. Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I play in a duo with a bass player and we're trying to get some gigs around town. There are a ton of places around here to play but almost all the spots are filled and it's really competitive. We're just starting out, too, so we can't say, "Oh, we've played here and here and we have plenty of experience."

So what I'm asking is, any tips on getting the ball rolling? I know the first few gigs are probably going to be pretty crappy and low-paying at first but I'm prepared for that. We just need the experience.
MorganS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting gigs. Reply with quote

JeremyA wrote:
Hi everyone. I play in a duo with a bass player and we're trying to get some gigs around town. There are a ton of places around here to play but almost all the spots are filled and it's really competitive. We're just starting out, too, so we can't say, "Oh, we've played here and here and we have plenty of experience."

So what I'm asking is, any tips on getting the ball rolling? I know the first few gigs are probably going to be pretty crappy and low-paying at first but I'm prepared for that. We just need the experience.

Put an add up locally and on the internet. Start to talk to the local players and see whats going on. Take any gig anywhere. Maybe even say gigs for free just to get your foot in the door.

Good luck!

Morgan
Generic Sobriquet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be arsey, but Morgan....
mr. beaumont

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are there any jazz groups locally that let folks sit in? could be a good way to make some connections...

so are open mics.

even when you start getting paying gigs, don't expect too much. for a while you're going to have tp play for next to nuthin' to get your name around.

a recordind of you two playing, however simple, can be a good way to get a foot in the door when you don't have loads of experience to put in a press kit. let your playing speak for itself.

also, have business cards made-- this way, when someone does hear you play and likes it, they have a way to get a hold of you. i'll come right out and say that i don't gig much, so take my advice with a grain of salt and hopefully someone with more experience will also chime in. but the gigs i have played in the past year have mostly stemmed from word of mouth and the business card thing-- somebody hears me playing at guitar center, six weeks later i'm playing cocktail music at their brother in law's office christmas party. it's not glamourous, but then again, i have no intention of being the "next big thing." (sorry to take a pot shot morgan, but you left yourself open for that one....no hard feelings? Wink )
“For the guitar is the most unpredictable and least reliable musical instrument in existence...and also the sweetest, the warmest, the most delicate, whose melancholic voice awakes in our soul exquisite reveries.”

Andres Segovia
JeremyA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, Morgan and mr. beaumont.

Right after I started this thread we got offered a gig. We don't get paid for it but it's in an area downtown with lots of great live music, so I think it will help us get heard by the people I want to hear us. Also, if it goes well, it could possibly turn into a regular gig (like monthly or even weekly).

I've put ads online and we've made a couple of recordings. Making business cards is a good idea. I'm definitely going to design some tonight.

As far as local groups that let other people sit in and jam sessions and open mics, there are TONS around here (I was lucky enough to be born in a very jazz-friendly city). I'm not quite ready for that, though. It's one thing playing with a bass player for an hour or so every day and then going out to play a gig together. It's another thing going and sitting in with a group of strangers, especially because I just don't have much experience playing with other chording instruments (like piano players or other guitar players. It'd be a whole new challenge for me).
Fingerpicker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As far as local groups that let other people sit in and jam sessions and open mics, there are TONS around here (I was lucky enough to be born in a very jazz-friendly city). I'm not quite ready for that, though. It's one thing playing with a bass player for an hour or so every day and then going out to play a gig together. It's another thing going and sitting in with a group of strangers, especially because I just don't have much experience playing with other chording instruments (like piano players or other guitar players. It'd be a whole new challenge for me).

Don't let that stand in your way! How else do you get experience. I'm rather in the same boat. We don't have much of a jazz scene here, but I'm trying to get into what there is by "being there", talking to the players on break, being an enthusiastic audience (and that is important in a dead house) and letting them see my desire. I'm starting to get invitations to sit in... we'll see where it leads. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Biz All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: