PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poll: Flatwounds Vs. Roundwounds
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Polling Place
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Flats vs. Round?
Flat wounds
71%
 71%  [ 25 ]
Round wounds
28%
 28%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 35

Tung

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Poll: Flatwounds Vs. Roundwounds Reply with quote

First, let me just say this is jazz guitar heaven forum here. you guys are a great knowledgable bunch.
I've been playing flats (Fender Stainless 13-54) since about 1994, with my faithful blond ES-175, it is a jazz machine, the thing just makes you think ol'school Wes/Burrell/Benson.
Due to a lot different work i've been doing lately, especially playing in playing fusion and other styles, I've switched to a Gibson Les Paul as my main axe in recent years. On that I'm using a mix set, 11s on top and 30-52 set on the bottom (HEAVY for solid body).
I've always missed my 175 and the big assed jazz tone one can only get from those barbed wire flats. I been thinking of switching to round wound so it'll be a little closer to my Les Paul action and feel, which is a lot easier to play. I know for sure that'll not be the same as the big, tough tension feel of the 13s flats.
What do y'all think of Flats vs. Round?
cadence

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flats for me. I tried roundwounds (13 guage, Thomastik) for a while,and I definately liked them more than any other roundwound string I have played. I think with a naturally dark sounding guitar, maybe even your ES, those strings would be great. On mine (Eastman 805CE) it was just a little too edgy for my tastes. So I'm back to flats now.

I also prefer flats for my picking - if I want to turnthe pick a little to darken the tone occasionally it sounds better on flats.

If you still want the tension of roundwounds get a heavier guage set of Bebop Thomastik strings. They feel like they have less tension than other brands too, so you'll probably feel less tension than the ender strings you are used to.
dewey decibel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell if you're trying to compare flats to wounds or heavy gauge strings to light gauge. I have an ES-175 I use flats on, and on my solidbodies I use rounds. Using the same gauge flats or wounds will not have any effect on your action and I'm not sure what you mean by feel but I've always liked flats as it's easier to glide across the strings, but otherwise they should feel the same.

If you're trying to get the two guitars set up the same the best bet is to lessen the difference between the two string gauges. Both guitars have the same scale length and nut width, so they should feel pretty similar. Maybe try Thomastic .012s? BTW, I agree with Cadence that the Thomastik roundwounds sound better than the flats on a guitar like the ES-175. I use the flats as I'm going for a specific sound which they work better for, but generally I think the wounds sound better on that type of guitar.
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for rounds.

A friend of mine has a blonde 175 that I love. I've tried to talk him out of it for years.
JeremyA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For someone who's only used roundwounds, what are the pros and cons of using one versus the other?
Jazzy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used flats 0,12 before ( gibson ), but now I only use TI roundwounds, I think they`re called bebop. 0,13, and sometimes with a ,14 on the top.

The best strings in my opinion Smile
mr. beaumont

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.11 gauge flats here...i still like to bend a little.

i like the way flats feel and the way they don't squeak.
“For the guitar is the most unpredictable and least reliable musical instrument in existence...and also the sweetest, the warmest, the most delicate, whose melancholic voice awakes in our soul exquisite reveries.”

Andres Segovia
The Laughing Buddha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Flats vs. Rounds Reply with quote

On my jazz guitar, I play flats (medium). I experinece not nearly the string noise as on my roundwound acoustic, but I do hit frequent wolf notes.

Any tips?

http://cloudshadow.net
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Flats vs. Rounds Reply with quote

The Laughing Buddha wrote:
On my jazz guitar, I play flats (medium). I experinece not nearly the string noise as on my roundwound acoustic, but I do hit frequent wolf notes.

Any tips?

String's too close to pickup causing magnetic pull, that's what causes wolf tones. Wink

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Viper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLAT for jass.

Its unusual for the Irish Independence movement to be cited in a jass context.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfe_Tone
Jake Hanlon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rounds.

Purpose being when I did try flats I didn't like them, the feel of them or the tone of them. I was playing more bebop back then as well. Now I don't consider myself to be a bop player, I play a semi-hollow body guitar and I don't even want to try flats on it because I think it would just kill the tone at this point.

I'm half interested in half rounds.

But I'm digging the TI rounds (13's) and don't feel the need to change anything other then put new strings on that sucker in about a week.

www.jakehanlon.com

Debut Album Follow @ Itunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/follow/id406062013
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ingeneri

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by ingeneri on Wed May 19, 2010 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Viper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm half interested in half rounds.
they are cool. any thing that stops that sqeak and heavier guage that remain better in tune than lights.
JakeJew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a post a while ago about a solid body Ibanez artist that basicaly fell out of the sky and onto my lap.

I don't own a jazz guitar at the moment, so I strung the Ibanez with 12 flat wounds. Real smooth, real jazzy. I like it. But that was a switch from 11 gauge roundwounds. So I wonder how "jazzy" this guitar would sound with 12+ roundwounds.

But I haven't played this guitar in a group context yet.

I remember I was playing a strat for jazz before this (11 roundwound), and by myself I could get some passable tones out of it, but when I did a session with a bassist and a drummer (I don't play with others often), I sounded very thin and it was hard to cut through. I may have just needed to play with the amp settings more, but it was definitely a significant observation.

I wonder how the ibanez, which has humbuckers and now thicker flats, will sound in a group.
JakeJew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ingeneri wrote:
TI Flat (swing) series .13 guage. I recently re -tried their round (bop) series after using flats exclusively for 10+ years, but I found the sound too acoustic. The flats just give that nice big round "traditional" jazz guitar sound to me.

It would be interesting to know how long both types have been available and who has been confirmed as using what. That said, most major players seem to disdain any discussion of what strings, picks, etc... they use.

I feel like...isn't it kind of easy to tell from the sound who is using flats and who is using rounds? I think, at least, some tones seem more flat-accessible and some more round...but I've never been too knowledgable about this side of the guitar world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Polling Place All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: