PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sound of your own voice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Sound of your own voice Reply with quote

Anybody enjoy listening to there own playing?

I hate it! I listen to recordings and apart from a good feeling occasionally from a job well done, or a solo that may sound fresh, I can't stand it.

Everyone else sounds great. Different levels maybe, but still entertaining and listenable.

How do you feel?
Elegant Warmth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lately im decently satisfied with my playing and i make a point of recording whatever i play on my loop station to listen to later and critique
Fingerpicker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started to record, I felt the same way. I sounded HORRIBLE! Embarassed But then I started to listen closely to understand why it sounded bad, and I discovered all of those little habits that I had developed that detracted from the sound, such a finger dragging which led to a lot of string noise and poor intonation. And of course there was the sloppy timing and phrasing. This gave me something to work on. As I overcame the little problems, the overall sound improved greatly.

I guess the point of all this is to say, use your recordings as an opportunity for improvement. As we play, we hear things from the inside and not necessarily from the outside. The recording lets us hear what the audience hears. Figure out what doesn't sound good and work on that.

I hope this helps. Good luck. Very Happy
Jake Hanlon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I record everything I play live.

purpose is documentation and evolution of what I have been doing musicially over the last 4 years (I've been doing it consistently since my 1st senior recital) and I am glad I do it. I like to listen to the recordings for a few takes after I do the gigs because it shows me how I've improved, and what areas that I need to work on. This is a totally different thing then practice, because in Practice there is no risk, no chance. Everything is far to calculated and broken down. When you're actually partaking in the making of jazz music that's the magic, and I need to hear myself being a part of it so that I can really see how far I'm progressing and how far I still have to go.

speaking of which I should have some new samples for everyone this weekend hahahaha.

www.jakehanlon.com

Debut Album Follow @ Itunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/follow/id406062013
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
lou309

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
Have you ask yourself why?
Lou
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To borrow from Douglas Adams
Steve it's just normal paranoia dude,
everyone in the universe has got that ............ Wink
dewey decibel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a perfectionist, so of course I hate hearing myself. I've found that I need to give it some time though, and then I can listen objectively. I seem to have a really good memory for stuff I've played- I can remember what I was thinking and what I was going for when I listen back, and it's really frustrating if it didn't come out right. But if I don't listen to something for maybe 6 months or a year I forget the majority of it, and then I can listen with a clean slate.

I've only recorded a little bit of jazz in the studio, and it was always for other people, in which case I just played it and tried not to give it a second thought. On the other stuff I've recorded I've had the luxury to listen to the playback and overdub what I didn't like later. With that you have to be careful as the more you do it the further you might get from your intial inspiration, and usually your first instinct is the best. I've considered doing a record myself, and realized I'd have to have someone "produce it" for me, or at least oversee the session otherwise I could really go overboard with multiple takes.

But I agree, listening to yourself is a very important tool and necessary to get better. I've really learned a lot about my phrasing- things I thought came out a certaint way when I played them I found sounded much different in reality.
steve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thoughts people.

Quote:
Steve,
Have you ask yourself why?
Lou

Profound! Damn good point. I get the impression that Art Blakey wouldn't have minded hearing himself. But that's because I see him as being honest and puting it out there. Of course there is the analysis factor - sounding boring, too many mistakes etc
lou309

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
In jazz improv, there are no such things as mistakes. There is however better choices. Consider your choices and why you picked those notes at that time. Use that info as a point of departure and try a different path.
Lou
Jake Hanlon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh there are plenty of mistakes. They happen all the time. The player knows when he/she makes a mistake because what happened is now what was intended. This is a mistake, as opposed to the old saying there are no wrong notes in jazz, which is a bit more accurate

www.jakehanlon.com

Debut Album Follow @ Itunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/follow/id406062013
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
stratocasturbator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you kidding? I love me. Laughing
PaulD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I'll record something and hear it back immediately and hate it, then come back and listen to the same recording a month or two later and really like it. That usually happens when I don't sound like me (if that makes any sense Confused ) I record a lot, and by listening back much later, many of my unintentional note choices (a.k.a. mistakes) wind up becoming stock licks for me.

Paul
The Laughing Buddha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Listen to your recordings... Reply with quote

Yeah, I actually like some of my work on bass, but I'm philosophical about it as a guitarist. It's just a snapshot of where I was at the time. I can appreciate some of the things I did knowing the work that went in. Other time, I say I'm dissatisfied with a take and my fiddler wife says "What are you talking about? I can't hear anything wrong."

Recording is an invaluable diagnostic tool. Perhaps the point is that you hate it, so you work harder and smarter on improving from that hideous, flat-footed solo you did in the studio. Shocked

http://cloudshadow.net
chasgrav

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, all. New guy. (This might be my first post ---- not sure).

I've been playing music for many years, but am a neophyte jazzer. I HIGHLY recommend recording yourself for all the reasons stated. And, it has an additional benefit: If you're feeling lousy about your playing, you can pull up a clip from a year or so ago. Chances are, if you're playing enough, you will have improved a lot!

Cheers! Cool
hanni

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have just done it and i donīt like my recording, hope it will be better after a while ............... the same with my singing, now this ethno mass we had to sing some weeks ago is on a cd, church did it, a life cd, dvd and movie ...... i hate it because itīs going arround Confused iīm just happy they donīt know that iīm practiced everything on the guitar too, nobody can ask Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: