PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Herbie Did the Impossible!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake Hanlon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Herbie Did the Impossible! Reply with quote

A Jazz record just won the Grammy for Album of the Year... it's about God damn time!!

Herbie is nothing but class. Thank God that the Academy realized that the music of that man and Joni was superior to Kanye West and his delusions of grandure recorded to repeated 4/4 sampled bullshit.

I'm curious to see how this plays out with the media.

www.jakehanlon.com

Debut Album Follow @ Itunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/follow/id406062013
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
thane27

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just going to post about this. Good stuff, maybe this could be the beginning of something new. Smile
joestone

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Herbie Did the Impossible! Reply with quote

Jake Hanlon wrote:
A Jazz record just won the Grammy for Album of the Year... it's about God damn time!!

Herbie is nothing but class. Thank God that the Academy realized that the music of that man and Joni was superior to Kanye West and his delusions of grandure recorded to repeated 4/4 sampled bullshit.

I'm curious to see how this plays out with the media.

I was more amazed that Amy Winehouse is still alive Shocked

Guess she "did go to rehab" after all... Laughing

Shakespeare did a hit piece on poor old Dicky the Third
stratocasturbator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ignore the grammys. maybe then they'll get uncomfortable and just go away... Cool
Generic Sobriquet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me cynical, but my hunch is that has more to do with Joni Mitchell and some of the other 'guests' on the album than it does with ol' Herbie himself.

I'm with strocasturbator, and that goes for all awards shows. Ditto for pageants, if I may throw in those related, worthless atrocities.
voodobop

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're cynical..
Herbie is a long time favorite with the grammys and has won 12 various grammy awards, not many less than Joni, and more i think the other guests on the cd. It was really good to see him win the best album of the year and put his name out to young people watching for the Foo fighters..
Generic Sobriquet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll take a certain measure of pride in being unaware that he had already been given that many vacuous hood ornaments, and leave it at that. Wink
Jake Hanlon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it having a Joni tag on it really hurts the validity of the award in any way. Joni had Metheny and Jaco etc etc in her bands for years. And she is a legitamate musical Artist who has had ties to Jazz her whole career.

In the end even if it was a push from her name it still gets the music out there for people who thought that Jazz was reserved for university class rooms, mueseums, poorly written PBS specials and coffee shops.

www.jakehanlon.com

Debut Album Follow @ Itunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/follow/id406062013
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
joestone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Hanlon wrote:
people who thought that Jazz was reserved for university class rooms, mueseums, poorly written PBS specials and coffee shops.

Laughing

Shakespeare did a hit piece on poor old Dicky the Third
Generic Sobriquet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake wrote:
I don't think it having a Joni tag on it really hurts the validity of the award in any way.

Actually, just to clarify, I didn't mean that specifically Herbie's latest was diminished by Joni Mitchell's association. Rather, that all Grammy's and other such awards are in general "vacuous hood ornaments," to whomever they're given under whatever circumstances.

But that's just me, imo, yadda yadda. Not that it's a big deal. Again I find myself giving a topic more attention that I initially intended, heh.

Jake wrote:
people who thought that Jazz was reserved for university class rooms, mueseums, poorly written PBS specials and coffee shops.

That was amusing. Don't forget elevators. Smile
stratocasturbator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the Grammy's are important to the pros. its a recognition of excellence for work done well.

the grammys are important to the record companies. it's a recognition of units sold and an increasingly fossilized celebration of the old model of making and selling recordings. it is a celebration of distribution models and marketing. it is a celebration of brand equity and advertising effectiveness. it has about as much to do with the art form as a cow does with the cheese that is produced from its milk.

every year I make a special point of always working on my own music during the grammys telecast. try to turn something so soul-crushingly cynical as the grammys into an excuse to create some positive energy and maybe even a little bit of art.

I'm with GS--awards shows basically suck but I take particular exception to the grammy's since they seek to be relevant to the art form I am most passionate about.

but hey, if human history has proved anything it's that people have an insatiable appetite for crap. if you wanna watch, knock yourself out...but just because the crap peddlers toss a bone to a jazz artist once every few decades doesn't mean we all have to reach for a spoon.... Cool
Generic Sobriquet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on.
hanni

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iīm tired about those awards and tv shows and i donīt want to look them anymore because they press jazz musicans in something, castings like dsds too (dsds = deutschland sucht den superstar = germany is surching the superstar) ---- http://www.clipfish.de/player.php?videoid=MTM2MzUwfDE5MzM3NDg%3D&tl=4712&cat=0 ----- aaaaaahh
arjazz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Herbie Did the Impossible! Reply with quote

Jake Hanlon wrote:

Thank God that the Academy realized that the music of that man and Joni was superior to Kanye West and his delusions of grandure recorded to repeated 4/4 sampled bullshit.

TOTALLY agree I think that is exactly how i would have worded it. And yes i watched the awards as well and i was really happy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: