PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slide guitar 'jazz'?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Slide guitar 'jazz'? Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm new here.

I've been playing for way too long, but only recently have ventured into anything remotely considered jazz. I'm a slide player really, and acoustic finger stylist.

The internet has been great in expanding my musical horizons, with all the various backing tracks being posted on forums like this. I have 'met' some fine players over the past while.

I'll introduce myself musically, since this is the Play Jazz Guitar forum. Below is the latest attempt at playing jazz on electric slide. The backing was uploaded by a pal Bob Natarelli, and I played the improvisation over it. It's basically Fm to C#7, over and over ... no muscle memory allowed.

http://www.thatllteachyou.com/mp3s/fusion2.m3u | Stream it
http://www.thatllteachyou.com/mp3s/fusion2.mp3 | Download it

I know one scale only: the major scale. I keep tabs on the chords.

... if you're interested, of course.

All the best,
Guitarstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Pretty Cool! Reply with quote

Sorta has that "Jeff Beck" thing going on.
Kirk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool ... I've always like Jeff Beck. Here's one where my Strat sounds like a trumpet.

http://www.thatllteachyou.com/mp3s/sent.m3u | Stream
http://www.thatllteachyou.com/mp3s/sentimental2.mp3 | Download

This is a tune I first heard as a fetus, back in 1949. My parents listened to their big band LPs loud. It's my Gibson J-50 playing the rhythm and my Strat doing the slide melody. It's a wonderful progression, great to play to, in fact I use it in a little promo movie at one of my sites. View it here if you're interested, but like I say, it's a promo.

http://planetalk.thatllteachyou.com/improv.html
Guitarstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff Kirk, but I must say I'm more intrigued by your Planetalkers fretboard methodoloy mi amigo. Can you give me/us a little insight to how it works and how it can be applied to some typical Jazz changes ?
Kirk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guitarstar.

As I mentioned on another thread here, I never had any luck turning scales and modes into music. For some reason, I find it impossible to see melody in the linear fashion that scales/modes force upon my brain. I spent all my time looking for some underlying pattern that would help me locate chord tones, which I found did help me play melodically. Decades ago, when looking into slide positions in standard tuning, I had one of those Eureka moments, when all of a sudden the whole fretboard gelled into one continuous familiar environment. Years and years later I read about the CAGED system, and while there are obviously similarities (all methods must be similar, since there is just one way music imposes itself on a fretboard), my way seems more succinct; my way is one layer deeper again than the CAGED.

As for applying it to jazz ... it doesn't really matter what style. It's simply a way of quickly zeroing in on chord tones, which is the way I construct my melodic excursions. I follow chord tones; they are the outlines of my melodies. I can then flesh them out with other tones, all of which I really see as passing tones ... ways of connecting the chord tones. Obviously, when all is said and done, I have wound up playing scales and modes, but the critical point is that I never thought about them when deciding which notes would form my melody.

That may not be a good thing for many players, not thinking about scales and modes, but it's the only way I know to make real melodies. I don't know if you're like me, but to my ear nothing sounds worse than to hear that some inappropriate mode has taken over in the guise of a solo. Yuck! Melody is boss, and melody is locked up in the chords. PlaneTalk teaches a neat way of seeing chord tones everywhere, for all chords.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting, I may have to pick up a copy of your booklet. I try to think of the scales as they relate to the chords and often use the 3 note triad shapes of the F, D and A chords to help locate the scales and their associated tonic, 3rd and 5th tones. Sounds like you've taken this approach and expounded on it.

To me melody is king as well, speed has it's place, but by itself it's just monotony. Using scales to solo is a pitfall of the beginner, (myself included at times). It requires risk taking and imagination to use your musical mind to paint a picture through melody.

Kirk, if you have some video clips of you playing that show your method in practice, email me something at "dmartin at coinstar dot com". File size doesn't matter.

Regards,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Jazz Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: