PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wildschwein's blog and cat video

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: wildschwein's blog and cat video Reply with quote

I know there are lots of animal lovers here. You've gotta check out
one of our forum member's cat video.
I really enjoyed it, wildschwein!

My Blog: http://wildschwein.wordpress.com
Volume Swell

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL that is an awesome video!
Generic Sobriquet

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, kitties.

wildschwein wrote:
Well, simply put, I currently suck at baking. I donít often have the patience, tend to improvise too much, look for too many shortcuts....

So at least you recognize the problem. Unlike cooking, baking and pastry really is an exacting science; straight up chemistry. Many of the best, 3-star Michelin chefs in the world can't bake for shit. Smile Two different worlds.

If you want, one can analogize baking&pastry to concert music, and jazz to cooking, which allows more improvisation (although, strictly speaking, in fine dining you're still going to want consistency of a dish from one order to the next).

Key to the culinary arts, as with any, is to begin with basic theory and skills, then work your way up in expertise. Are you an aspiring professional, or just a hobbyist?

Remember, always weigh the ingredients when baking.
hanni

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generic Sobriquet wrote:
Aw, kitties.

wildschwein wrote:
Well, simply put, I currently suck at baking. I donít often have the patience, tend to improvise too much, look for too many shortcuts....

So at least you recognize the problem. Unlike cooking, baking and pastry really is an exacting science; straight up chemistry. Many of the best, 3-star Michelin chefs in the world can't bake for shit. Smile Two different worlds.

If you want, one can analogize baking&pastry to concert music, and jazz to cooking, which allows more improvisation (although, strictly speaking, in fine dining you're still going to want consistency of a dish from one order to the next).

Key to the culinary arts, as with any, is to begin with basic theory and skills, then work your way up in expertise. Are you an aspiring professional, or just a hobbyist?

one sunday in a each mounth we make a cooking meeting with frinds, we mostly cook fine france cuisine, interesting is all of us like to do music too, and sometimes it ends with a little jam session but mostly with some bottles vine, a girlfrind wrote a cooking book about it but no publisher want to have it Confused itīs about cooking and camping
wildschwein

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generic Sobriquet wrote:
Aw, kitties.

wildschwein wrote:

Oh my girlfriend wrote that! We have a blog that we both write on - you've obviously been there. I am a chef by trade actually (been cooking professionaly for 12-13 years) and her baking missions have been her own adventures that I've had little input into. I haven't written many entries there as of late; but if you go to the archives you'll find a lot of my writing. A few I would recommend are "Pasta Carbonara: An Argument For A Return to Simplicity", my how-to-make Ginger Beer article, "What the Hell is Scrapple?" and the how-to-make sourdough bread entry.

You're right though. many pastry and dessert items are much more scientific in their preperation and there isn't the same amount of wiggle room for improvisation that you have with savoury cooking. Yes, weighing and measuring is the key. But then things like flour are fickle - different batches, even of the same brand, absorb more or less liquid than others, so you are forced, at times, to improvise a little. Oh yeah I've always dug the music/food analogy too.

My fields of expertise are actually in yeast/cultured goods (mainly breads) and stocks and sauces. Although I can cook desserts pretty well, I don't really have a sweet tooth and prefer savouy preperations when I'm cooking at home. My main interest in cooking nowadays is to save money and utilise my own labour rather than fork out ridiculous amounts of cash on food that is prepared by others for me.

BTW here's the link to the cat vid. It has moved back a few pages now. http://wildschwein.wordpress.com/2008/05/06/love-cats/
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughin my arse off Thanks for posting that. Got a badly needed chuckle. Especially the 'Cat Yoddling' part. Laughin my arse off

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Generic Sobriquet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, oops. I have some background myself; actually have a degree but haven't really put it to professional use. Possibly never will. That's a whole other story there.

Yeah, moisture in flour. When I was in culinary school (this was in '97), I recall our Baking&Pastry chef making the point that some serious bakers will take humidity (maybe even barometric pressure?) into account with their calculations each morning. Can't remember the details beyond that, heh.

I prefer savory foods myself. I eat a good deal of fruit, and that more than satisfies any desire for sweetness I might have. I'm one of these folks very sensitive to salt and sweet. I'll check out some of your entries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: