PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I've lurked long enough...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamester

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: I've lurked long enough... Reply with quote

Hi everybody, I've been impressed with this forum since stumbling across it a few months ago. So I've finally decided to throw my hat into the ring and join the community! Smile

Quick bio: I'm 35 and play jazz/funk guitar, though I also am into hip-hop and some DJ/electronic music. Been studying jazz a long time, and have a degree from Berklee. Nowadays I split my time between teaching guitar, home recording and occasional gigging. For the past few years I've actually taken a bit of a break from jazz and gigging, and have been focused more on recording and technology. But for whatever/various reasons I felt this year I needed to get back to guitar, and have been doing so. It feels great - and finding this forum has helped!

As for influences, I just discovered Rosenwinkel this year and am hooked. He is the voice for modern jazz guitar IMO. I'm also really digging Jonathan Kreisberg, who I recently came across. As for the "old guard", hands-down John Scofield is my favorite guitarist, along with Frisell. And while not "jazz" per se, Jimi will always be the benchmark in my book.

While I can be quite opinionated at times, I always strive to maintain a balance. (I'm a true Libra!) So I'm looking forward to chatting with you all...
cheers
JAMES
DocDosco

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: I've lurked long enough... Reply with quote

jamester wrote:
Hi everybody, I've been impressed with this forum since stumbling across it a few months ago. So I've finally decided to throw my hat into the ring and join the community! Smile

Quick bio: I'm 35 and play jazz/funk guitar, though I also am into hip-hop and some DJ/electronic music. Been studying jazz a long time, and have a degree from Berklee. Nowadays I split my time between teaching guitar, home recording and occasional gigging. For the past few years I've actually taken a bit of a break from jazz and gigging, and have been focused more on recording and technology. But for whatever/various reasons I felt this year I needed to get back to guitar, and have been doing so. It feels great - and finding this forum has helped!

As for influences, I just discovered Rosenwinkel this year and am hooked. He is the voice for modern jazz guitar IMO. I'm also really digging Jonathan Kreisberg, who I recently came across. As for the "old guard", hands-down John Scofield is my favorite guitarist, along with Frisell. And while not "jazz" per se, Jimi will always be the benchmark in my book.

While I can be quite opinionated at times, I always strive to maintain a balance. (I'm a true Libra!) So I'm looking forward to chatting with you all...
cheers
JAMES

Nice to meet you.

We have quite an eclectic crew here, so welcome...

Doc's Peerless guitar website
http://www.jazzguitarzone.com
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, jamester! It's good that you are enjoying playing more now.
hanni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi thats fine and welcome here Very Happy
jamester

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcomes everybody! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: