PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Howdy (new member stinkin up the joint here)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bejeeber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Howdy (new member stinkin up the joint here) Reply with quote

Hey jazz twanging brethren,

I hope to be piping in here at this forum some (starting with the Hendrix topic today), so here's a bit about where I'm coming from:

I cut my teeth as a teen on rock material such as Hendrix, Jeff Beck, etc., then went on a long progressive/fusion jag incorporating pseudo bop lines (mostly chromaticism) as a prime component of the guitar improv.

I eventually became utterly apalled with my own inability to improvise over jazz standards, so I buckled down, focused on straight ahead jazz, with a real emphasis on melodic minor usage learned from Ted Greene's books.

Once I got that going I kinda sealed the deal when I accepted a very much trial by fire offer to play standards from fake books in a regularly gigging jazz trio for a couple years.

I've been burnt out on the fusion for quite some time now, and as far as jazz sub genres are concerned, I remain mainly interested in playing and listening to more straight ahead stuff, with my favorite guitarists including Joe pass, Wes Montgomery and George Benson.

For the last 11 years I've been very busy with a day gig as a composer and sound designer for video games and have felt my guitar skills slipping away, so this year I've decided to try and regain some capabilities and record an albums worth of jazz trio original instrumentals, possibly as my last big effort in the jazz genre.

Looking forward to learning from y'all and discussing stuff!
GUITARLAW

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bejeeber, welcome,sounds like an interesting history, seems like you will fit in nicely with many here,some very interesting people here. life sure does go by fast so your project sounds great.....enjoy....Michael
hanni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi and welcome to this place Very Happy
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy and Welcome!
bejeeber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybuddy. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: