PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about pickup mounting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitar Repair & Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chordspinner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Question about pickup mounting Reply with quote

Hey, all you repair guys. I have a question about the pickup mounting on a Gibson 175. Should the pickup be free and not touch the mounting or should it be snug and not move. Some of my guitars are so snug it's difficult to move the pickup; others (my 175) moves rather easily....and that's the problem: theres a funny vibration resonance that drives me nuts and I know it shouldn't be there. Would just wrapping the pickup with plastic tape so that it fits snugly do the trick?....or should I scrape the inside of the housing so that it doesn't touch?
Thanks.

"You're either at the gig or waiting to go to the gig."
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would just wrapping the pickup with plastic tape so that it fits snugly do the trick?....

Those resonances are anoying aren't they ?
You need three hands to isolate them
Its so great when you get rid of them tho !

Thats what I did on my rattling Ibanez bridge PU ,
black gaffa tapen was the answer
Also on the tailpiece ....
dewey decibel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you do anything I'd make sure you know where it's coming from. Like Sunflower said, you may need three hands. Shocked

Anyway, it could be the pickup mounts aren't completely flush to the top, that can create a buzz/resonance. Could also be the springs but I think that's rare. I'd say tighten the pickup mounts first and see if that does it.

Also if you have an ABR-1 bridge it could be the retaining wire, that's very common.
chordspinner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dewey:
I've tightened and loosened everything on the top of the guitar and I'm 95% certain it's caused by the pickup rubbing against the mounting ring. My L4 does it too but not so bad.
I'm going to try some electrical tape to snug it up and see if that works. The culprit is the bridge pickup; the neck pickup is fine.

"You're either at the gig or waiting to go to the gig."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitar Repair & Upgrades All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: