PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new to forum; need "right" chords (lol), orig arr'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
americanprimer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: new to forum; need "right" chords (lol), orig arr' Reply with quote

Hi everybody, looks like a great forum!
I've played semi-pro since '79: rock, blues, soul, folk, country, bluegrass, jugband, Grateful Dead & Dylan, etc.
Jazz is not new to me, but I've never really 'dug in' until the last year and a half. So I have 'jazzy' material, but still need a bit of study for some things to make sense to me, I'm tryin'!
I need more 'literal' chords than the Realbooks provide and was hoping to get some help here in finding the proper changes for popular arrangements as well as the original arrangements.
(Ex: swing players just jam on the chorus of "Sweet Georgia Brown"; I sing the entire song and jam once thru the full changes 1x between verses/chorus 1 & 2.)
So, thanks in advance for pointing me to the right threads and for any text/lesson suggestions.
Peace! Smile
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. Please explain a little further. Do you need help
with passing chords or the alteration of chords, that sort of thing?
americanprimer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for more reliable chords than the realbooks provide-preferably something closer to original scores rather than truncated choruses that are used for jamming on.
There are 'blues' changes that jazzers use for a lot of songs that have great passing chords in them- I'd like to get get a better feel for that as well, develop a natural 'jazz' approach to some things.
Our trio consists of acoustic guitar & brass-body reso, upright bass, snare w/ brushes. The other guys are already 'schooled' in jazz, esp bop, but they can't help me with guitar much! I just need good solid rhythm parts to start with, and then I can usually fill in the rest once I'm comfortable with the 'signposts' of the song.
Not into endless exercises, at least not right now, I just want to learn it song by song.
Thanks!
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you could tell us a tune or two that you want to work on, maybe even sketch out the changes you are doing, and we can see if we can give
some ideas. lots of guys that play really good changes here.
That way you can go tune by tune and begin to find how they work.
americanprimer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Sorry about the time-lapse, went fission)

"My Favorite Things" is one. The realbook chart confuses me a bit and feels like it lacks the specific chord positions I need, so I checked out some solo guitar versions on youtube for perspective.
One in particular seems fairly easy for me to follow and seems to go into that nice maj7 part like Coltrane does.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lttFJrfbBJA&feature=PlayList&p=6E1FB762FCC2F908&index=7

Do you think this is a good version to learn? I'd like to be able to play it well as a rhythm behind a soloist as well as solo on it myself.
(plus I don't have enough waltzes! lol)

Milestones is another. The head is easy enough, but i'm lost after that. The Garcia/Grisman version is fine, but I'd like to find more chords to vamp around on, not just solo in Dm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: