PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

solo guitar...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Recording Studio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: solo guitar... Reply with quote

whats the best method for recording solo guitar. I use a heritage with a little bit of delay. Im lokog for a really nice warm, full sound. I use a fairly decent yamaha mixing desk going through an edirol sound card into a mac with Cubase Se on.
Any good settings or advice on how to make it sound loud and clear?
john
mr. beaumont

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will you be mic-ing or going direct? is yours a deep bodied heritage--does it have acoustic tone? i like the sound of the archtop mostly acoustic with a bit of electric signal blended in...
“For the guitar is the most unpredictable and least reliable musical instrument in existence...and also the sweetest, the warmest, the most delicate, whose melancholic voice awakes in our soul exquisite reveries.”

Andres Segovia
JohnB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a deep body. i'll be DI'ing. its got an acoustic tone but i;d like some electric tone blended in with it. if I could get it to sound like Joe Pass's then I'd be happy.
jokron

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I would get a microphone, i e Shure SM57 to get the acoustic tone and some finger/pick/string sound. It's a dynamic mic so you can connect it directly to your mixing desk. Position the microphone at the 12th fret or so slightly angeled towards the body(you may have to experiment a little to get the tone you want).

Then I would line the guitar to another input on the mixing desk and record the guitar. Here are some different possibilities:

1. Buy a IK Multimedia Stealth Plug: http://www.stealthplug.com/Main.php?prod-SP.php , you get Amplitube Live with it and it has a modelling of FenderŪ Deluxe Reverb 65Ū called American Tube Clean with a clean, warm tone. You can use it as a plugin in Cubase SE.

2. Buy Amplitube or some other amp simulator plugin or try some of the freeware amp simulators and use it as a plugin:

http://www.novadsp.com/gxstack.htm
http://www.ndzeit.org/guitar/tubebaby.html
http://www.pxe.buntweb.de/amp1.html
http://www.simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm

Record in two tracks, presuming you have a stereo output from the mixing desk; the mic'd in one and the line in another. I think you can choose mono audio tracks in Cubase SE and dedicate the inputs to respective tracks. Then you can balance between the two tracks and maybe treat them with some eq, reverb or whatever...if you use a plugin you might have to tick the box "Direct monitoring" in the setup menu...to hear the sound of the guitar through your amplifier plugin.

/Jokron

Miles Davis
hanni

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just want to start recordings and want to buy a sennheiser mic (itīs a local company here) did someone knows a link to download a free simple program for the pc? to connect everything together? i donīt need such a compact thing like biab because i have an old pc...............thanks Very Happy
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hanni,

Check out http://audacity.sourceforge.net

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Fingerpicker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audacity is an awesome sound processing app that is easy to use and capable of producing very high quality results. Very Happy
hanni

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankīs guys Wink , now iīm not sure which mic because there are to much, the sennheiser factory is half an hour with a car from my home, maybe they have a factory store to get a special offer, i want to find out this......later
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm.nsf/root/products_microphones
hanni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now i have everything, but itīs not a sennheiser mic, that was to expensive for me, itīs a t-bone usb mic, it works fine with audacity, ..... iīm not familiar with my own voice at the moment, maybe it needs a bit time, i donīt get it to put an audacity file in mp3, i used the cd/programm that was together in the pack from my mp3 player, did i have to switch a copyblock off?
hanni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh , it isnīt easy to get guitar, flute, singing and drumming together, everything played by my own .........
StevieB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
whats the best method for recording solo guitar.

I've been running my ES-175 directly into my Tascam DP-02 Digital PortaStudio. I've been using no pre-record effects and adding just a touch of reverb post-record.

I've been very pleased (and a bit surprised) by the clarity and warmth I've been able to attain when recording my solo guitar using this simple method.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Recording Studio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: