PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Greetings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lydianauxilliarydemented

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Greetings Reply with quote

Hi all, new here. I have popped in for a gander a few times and I like the feel of what you have going on here. Hope I can fit in.

I have been playing guitar for about 30 plus years or so...yikes...time flies. Started at an early age, never put it down.

Anyway, my first question is about Gitane guitars, the Selmer Maccaferri copies.....John Jorgenson endorses them.

Has anyone owned or played one of these and how is the build, fit/finish and playability?

I am really keen to get one but never having bought a guitar online before...I mean I like to play something before I shell out the hard earned bones.

Oh and excuse the long name..it seemed like a good idea at the time until I saw how long it looked.
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Lad. Well it seems like a better nickname than demented, Ha!
Lydianauxilliarydemented

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, glad to make your acquaintance. Interesting forum. I am looking forward to interacting. Not a jazz guitarist although I started going in that direction in my late 20's for quite a few years but then veered sharply back into rock, blues, you name it.......kinda sorry I did , I should have stuck to my guns.

Spent 2 years in a 17 piece big band though and that was a lot of fun, ended up leader of the rhythm section if that means anything...other than the "priveledge" of transcribing a bunch of charts for the band leader LOL!! You know, stuff you want to be spending your free time doing at 25....

Good times though...serious music.

Anyway that was a long time ago...I am trying to get back into it..the discipline, study etc and not just blow stuff I know all the time.
CalebFSU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey there good to see you here. About the Gitanes. They are great intro instruments if you are looking to get that Selmer Macaferri sound. If you are looking for a classic acoustic archtop sound this is not your guitar if you are looking for a classing flattop sound like a martin or gibson this is also not your guitar. if you are very interested in playing Jazz Manouche and you are looking to get into an instrument but don't want to break the bank then these guitars are for you. If you are looking into that style I would check out www.djangobooks.com/forum and search saga gitane you'll hear a ton of oppinions on these guitars and common mods that most folks do right out of the box. PM me if you want specifics. Any way welcome aboard there is a lot of good insight and information here.
Lydianauxilliarydemented

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a ton Caleb. Yes, that is what am looking for precisely...a way to get the Gypsy Jazz sound without spending an arm and a leg. So I am going to venture off down that link you sent me and see where it leads. Thanks again.
Lydianauxilliarydemented

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Caleb....thanks for the link....an enjoyable detour and I ended up buying a guitar, getting a setup including a fret level, custom bridge and the action set correctly etc..... and also a bunch of books.

Wonderful stuff...I appreciate it.

My guitar should be arriving Monday or Tuesday and I have had a back and forth with Josh, he's the guy who does all the mods and repairs....he tells me it sounds really good and plays great so I am champing at the bit.

I also spent some time on the phone with the owner over there, Michael, and ended up feeling really good about buying the guitar online... something I have never done before.

Thanks again.
JohnB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi LAD,

I own a gitane and am actually looking to sell it!

They are great guitars and project very well. I use argentines on it and it sounds great. Having a marker on the 10th fret and not the 9th was slightly unusual at first but easy to get used to.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: