PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

advice would be appreciated

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catbackr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: advice would be appreciated Reply with quote

i'm a long time acoustic player, mostly bluegrass and singer/songwriter type things. i've been trying to learn some jazz tunes but not having much luck. i'm fairly proficient with chords and can make changes pretty well, but i can't seem to figure out how to improvise over the changes. So, i got the Leavett book and i'm about half way through that. I'm learning to read pretty well, but it seems like i ought to be working on something other than that. I tried doing scales, but honestly, that didn't seem to be teaching me anything. I'm willing to put in the time, but i am having trouble developing a practice routine that really teaches me something. What advice can you offer?

apologies also. i'm sure this has been asked a lot, but i didn't find anything in the history.
Generic Sobriquet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't improvise when playing bluegrass?
catbackr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not much. over the years, i've learned a number of tunes and i tend to play them pretty much the same way. i guess i really have the same problem with bluegrass. i've never figured out how to play over changes, and have never found any instructional material to halp that.
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure some of the guys will suggest books, etc., that will help you
a lot. There's a world of info.
I would also suggest that you try playing the melody line and do
variations on that to get started. You can draw lots of ideas from
the melody and it also suggests the harmony.
Jens

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Joe Pass: Guitar Style and the don't spend too much time on the beginning, use your time to play the examples from the section blues and onwards. The first part of the book is more sometrhing to read through for knowledge of scales, chords and how they are applied.

Jens
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: advice would be appreciated Reply with quote

catbackr wrote:
i'm a long time acoustic player, mostly bluegrass and singer/songwriter type things. i've been trying to learn some jazz tunes but not having much luck. i'm fairly proficient with chords and can make changes pretty well, but i can't seem to figure out how to improvise over the changes. So, i got the Leavett book and i'm about half way through that. I'm learning to read pretty well, but it seems like i ought to be working on something other than that. I tried doing scales, but honestly, that didn't seem to be teaching me anything. I'm willing to put in the time, but i am having trouble developing a practice routine that really teaches me something. What advice can you offer?

apologies also. i'm sure this has been asked a lot, but i didn't find anything in the history.

Yeah there's too many notes in scales

Take a standard tune you like memorise the changes

play round the changes just using the chord arppegios ......
all over the neck

Listen to lots of different versions , You tube is good
and transcribe/rip off a few of the licks you like ......

sing some licks then transcribe them onto the guitar etc

Get a good teacher ....
Generic Sobriquet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And start improvising when you play bluegrass too. Do you listen to and play much jug band music? Gap bridger.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: