PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie here need some help
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmgnut

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two books, both of which have instructions on how to tune. However, they do not explain troubleshooting when your having a tough time.
Jon1980

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently purchased an Ibanez Pat Metheny 'PM 35' guitar and for the price I played it is an amazing instrument.

I always get guitars professionally set up, I'm too worried about breaking them if I start fiddling with them lol.
pmgnut

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PM 35 is a really nice guitar. Congrats! That's actually the one I had my eye's on but can't really swing the 800 bucks.
Creekwriter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have another question on tuning. I can't seem to tune it right { my current epi nylon string }. I do have a chromatic tuner and am setting the strings to all the right letters but am having great difficulty tuning the G string. It's either way too low or too high of a pitch in relation to the B and D. I either have to crank it way down to a point where the string is abnormally loose or too tight to where it is probably at a breaking point.

Try tuning the G string to D and then slowly raising it 5 tones to G. Another way of checking it is to pluck the D string at the 5th fret. They should sound identical. If you are using a proper 3rd string, it should not break.

Perhaps you should observe someone more experienced tuning your guitar, in order to learn.

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: