PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Solid Theory Education

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kelticsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Solid Theory Education Reply with quote

I can't afford a teacher right now. SO, I'm looking to get a couple of books on the subject. I would like a solid theory foundation to build off of.

I was considering:

Levine's Jazz Theory,
my concern with this is, that it may just cover jazz oriented subjects, I'm looking for total theory.

Piston's Harmony,
Afraid it will be very comprehensive, but won't cover the Jazz side

Alfred's Essential's of Music Theory,
Thought I'd throw this one out there to hear what everyone thought.

I haven't really posted here in awhile. I was busy taking a break from music and guitar. I needed to break some really bad habits I had. I found the easiest way to do it was to not play for about a year.

I got Leavitt's book last year, started in it and realized that I had so many gaps in my education. I would have all these noodle fests, I mean practices. That's when I decided to take a break.

I was most amazed that although I haven't played for about a year. I was able to just pick the guitar up and play. I guess practice is mostly cumulative.

I have Leavitt's 3in1. I also have Sight reading Studies and the four books put out by Alfred Publishing for NGSW with the "for a contemporary guitarist" suffix.

I know most advice would lean toward getting a teacher. But it's not in the finances right now and probably won't be anytime soon. Besides that my wife's boss and our friend is a band teacher and I can get my questions answered pretty much anytime I need.

So, any advice on my next amazon purchase considering my goals of having a solid basic theory knowledge and being able to apply it to Jazz.

I should probably just but the first two but wanted an opinion on the matter. Any other suggestions will also be considered.

Very Happy

Thanks in advance.
hanni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have no guitarteacher too, but there are some good downloads and they are free for education/students

Changes Chord/Scale Reference Manual - Larry Ross
Quick Jazz Theory - Michael Morangelli
Notes For Ottmann 1: Elementary Harmony
Notes For Ottmann 2: Advanced Harmony
The Basic Jazz Guitar Chord Book - Dirk Laukens

for music reading i sometimes use www.delcamp.net its free for education/students too

its a bit much and i havenīt read that all now, but it seems there is everything inside, i found this e-books with google and metacrawler Wink
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Solid Theory Education Reply with quote

kelticsol wrote:
I was most amazed that although I haven't played for about a year. I was able to just pick the guitar up and play. I guess practice is mostly cumulative.

I've been finding this to be true with most people. The knowledge for the most part sticks. Most still have to shake the dust off the dexterity part but that would be true with most any physical demand on a person.

Always keep in mind with jazz that theory is of limited value. Many great players really didn't/don't know squat about theory but manage to produce great jazz.

At the same time I believe a good theoretical knowledgebase is required to make a real 'musician'. Wink

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
guignol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanni wrote:
i have no guitarteacher too, but there are some good downloads and they are free for education/students

If you are from Germany I really recommend Frank Sikora's Die Neue Jazz Harmonielehre. It's a book with hints and deep knowledge covering nearly all aspects of a jazz musician. You get tons of explanations, examples, music, hints, pdfs, etc... Definetly worth it's money. If I had purchased this earlier, I wouldn't have spent so much money.
It's a shame that there is no english translation...
kelticsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot for the good suggestions.
hanni

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guignol wrote:
hanni wrote:

If you are from Germany I really recommend Frank Sikora's Die Neue Jazz Harmonielehre. It's a book with hints and deep knowledge covering nearly all aspects of a jazz musician. You get tons of explanations, examples, music, hints, pdfs, etc... Definetly worth it's money. If I had purchased this earlier, I wouldn't have spent so much money.
It's a shame that there is no english translation...

thanks, never heard or seen that book in a music store
burke1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I went through 4 semesters of music theory in college, and for me the knowledge is a hinderence in learning jazz. I am always trying to make sense of it when I should be concentrating how it's relating to the piece not the theory of it.
Jon1980

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do the more advanced players here think are the most important areas to concentrate on theory wise?
kelticsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to let everyone know. That I got:

Piston's Harmony 4th Ed.
Louis Bellson Modern Reading Text in 4/4 (for rhythm)
Mark Levine Jazz Theory
and Because I could, Charlie Parker Omnibook

Bellson is amazing. It's all the same note. But the rhythms are challenging even from the beginning but you can actually see daily improvements and feel music better. At least that's what it has done for me in the week in that I had it. It's giving me a much needed tune up to the old inner time clock.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: