PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ahem....marijuana and jazz
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Polling Place
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Marijuana: useful practice tool?
No, that's only for reggae musicians
80%
 80%  [ 21 ]
Maybe. i usually forget what i practiced the night before.
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Yes, i advocate ganja to fellow jazzers
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 26

guignol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the reason why I picked up a guitar, was because of being so bored of getting smoked up... and it worked. I haven't been being bored for about 10 years now.

But damn, I live in the city of beer. A lttle offtopic, but once in a year we even have a little town party where 6.000.000 people drink about 7.000.000 liter beer on a 500.000 square yards big meadow... and listen to the most awful music, you can imagine...
eat this: http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=KQaJ45R3QZo
peckerwood

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the song in the video sounds like one of the seven layers of hell. i'll never really understand mariachi music, honestly. that I-IV-IV-I thing gets old so quickly.
Excel Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The song had a nice beat and you could dance to it. I give it an 85.
It sort of reminded me of Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass.
dewey decibel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't smoke. And I play reggae, dub, rocksteady, etc as well as jazz. I do drink though, and do drink at/before/during gigs.

If you like to smoke at home when you practice I think that's cool. I will say that you need to keep a check on anything that's habit forming. But on the gig you better be damn sure you know how it affects you, and even then it's going to affect you different each time. I'd say 90% of the guys I know that smoke at gigs think they play better high yet don't. At least with booze you know when you've overdone it.
DocDosco

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repost from the Diabetic guitarist forum on a medical marijuana thread:

Funny story, so I am posting it.....

I got a medical marijuana certificate. It costs $150 in CA, but I got mine gratis. (helps that my girlfriend was the medical evaluator). I got the check-up, was issued the paper, and walked across the hall to the dispensary, where there is a back room with all these different glass jars filled with all types of killer weed. You buy it legally off the menu by the gram or 8th ounce. You can also buy brownies, cookies, teas and even salad dressing laced with cannabis.

Pretty wild, really.

I don't know how well pot works regulating blood sugar, (cannabis is rumored to) ....as I guess you would have to smoke regularly (and be blasted all the time) to have any blood glucose benefit. I got it strictly for insomnia, and have only taken a few pokes in the middle of the night when I can't sleep.

It does work for me, oddly enough.

Go figure....

I was a bit hesitant about this at first, however as it was actually prescribed for sleep for me by someone who knows first hand how poorly I sleep and how I toss and turn hour after hour at night, and how the sleeping pills I have been taking have lost their effectiveness.... well.... I am OK with an occasional midnight puff. I am happy it helps me fall asleep (and I don't wake up hung-over from sleeping pills)

I have a rule though. No smoking other than late at night as the prescribed sleep aid, or I bust my sobriety.

OK, you can all stop laughing and shaking you heads.... because it's MY delusion, thank you very much...

I don't plan to get loaded and play music, BTW. Just use cannabis occasionally as a sleep aid.

Woo woo..........

;0)

Doc's Peerless guitar website
http://www.jazzguitarzone.com

Last edited by DocDosco on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
steve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing
Gave me a good chuckle. Cheers.
What a crazy world we live in. IMO we place far too much emphasis on stuff, rather than the essence of stuff.
vracan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I smoke on weekends and I find it serves great as putting me into a "relaxed" state without having to take years to learn medititaion. I don't drink so for me it's my "beer" effect. Having said that, for me (and my brother who is also a musician), playing music and smoking unfortunatley DOES NOT WORK well together!!!

I've had numerous discussions on this topic with my brother to understand why this is so, especially due to the fact that we both absolutely LOVE to listen to music when high.

To put it simply, our conclusion was that while under the influence your brain gets "lazy" and forgetful. Although it works great when just listening and going with the flow, but when we're the one's playing then we just can't keep up with the changes, sometimes even forgetting the key were playing in!!

This is really too bad because after listening to some of our "high" recordings we found different useful ideas do definitely come up when your high that you would not normally think of when straight.

Side note: I had my first joint when I was 25, but if I had started smoking in my teens (I started playing when I was 13), I can say for a fact there would be NO WAY in hell I would be at the musical caliber I am today.
So you aspiring kids thinking of learning guitar---D'ONT DO IT (the drugs that is)!!! Save it for later adulthood when most of the learning is done and you can better control when and when not to do it.
jamester

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is nothing but hypocrisy that alcohol and tobacco (not to mention all the needless pharmaceuticals - Restless Leg Syndrome, boner pills...) are allowed to be legal and marijuana isn't. Like any libation it should be used with common sense and only in the proper circumstances, no different than a couple glasses of cabernet.

Everybody's got a vice...

Last edited by jamester on Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:12 am; edited 2 times in total
jamester

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and as for the poll, the choices are too limited. I don't "advocate" it to anyone, each will decide for themselves what their best method of relaxation and escapism is, whether it be cocktails after work, cigs all day, chocolate desserts, a hundred different pill prescriptions from their doctor for anxiety, sleep aid, restless leg etc...

Most humans look for a crutch to help them get through; it may be chemical, spiritual, physical, whatever. I say to each their own.
vracan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree with you Jamester....except for teenagers, I strongly believe they do not have the control to be able to control their urges enough (that goes for urges in all aspects-hehe), along with peer pressure it's perfect combination to get on the road to nowhere. I was a teenager too once.
When you are learning guitar - you need ALL your brain cells working!!!
I am an engineer and personally I must say music can get way more complicated to learn than engineering(electronics). Not a good time to get high.
Teenagers---WAIT for full adulthood!!
Adults--like jamester said, to each their own vice.
vracan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah and one more thing for you teenagers- If you miss the opportunity to learn music while you are still teenager you will NEVER get really good. Aside from the plain fact that you probably will never be able to invest as much time in learning, it is a scientific fact that adults cannot absorb new skills as quickly as teenagers. Try to find an accomplished muscian who first learned to play in adulthood--nada!!!

Food for thought for maybe another thread--Learning to play while you are still a kid as opposed to people who try to learn in adulthood?!
mr. beaumont

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no.

i smoked a lot of grass when i was younger, and there's NO WAY IN HELL i could have played good jazz stoned. i played plenty of noodly jam band garbage though, which was me soloing for a half hour over two chords. i thought it was pretty far out then, but when i listen to old tapes, there's no interaction, just me wanking with a steady beat behind me...like soloing at home to a backing track.

when you're high, you exist in your own little world, and jazz is about listening, even if you're playing solo. yeah, think about that one, man. Very Happy

i know a lot of the greats played high. but for every transendental performance, the were 5 others that sucked. don't believe me? dig the chet baker/ stan getz record. sucks hardcore. chet's high out of his mind. can't play for shit on that record. chet was on some hard shit then, but i bet stan smoked some grass that night too, because his playing is tense and souless. his ego is on full display, and he's bent on showing chet up. paranoia and a great sense of self conciousness-- i remember plenty of that from my smoking days....anyway, the whole atmosphere is completely not conducive to making good music, and good music is not made on that album, IMHO.

and chet's among my favorite jazzers, so it's tough for me to say that.

i should shut up, i haven't posted here in a long time, and i'm being so adamant about my opinion. but anyone who doesn't listen when they play pisses me off, and stoned cats don't listen.
“For the guitar is the most unpredictable and least reliable musical instrument in existence...and also the sweetest, the warmest, the most delicate, whose melancholic voice awakes in our soul exquisite reveries.”

Andres Segovia
ed norton

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quit cigs in 2007, quit drinking in 2008, quit weed in 2009. My health was the reason and my wallet too. I'm happy with the health benefits, because weed is saturated in chemicals nowadays. my anxiety condition, however, got much worse. I am less likely to snap on people without weed, but when I'm home it can be very hard to cope. Music is my saving grace, for real.

I guess I was self medicating, but I just can't do it to my lungs anymore. I also lost 45 much needed pounds, so I'll just keep working hard. Anxiety and depression is really hard to deal with, you can't know without being there. How one plays guitar seems so trivial in comparison.

Prescription drugs scare me, I just feel you have to beat it yourself. Cue "Rocky" theme
HomeyJay

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these drugs are loser and assholes. I also think that's a good name for a song. Let me grab a pen...
ed norton

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can a drug be a loser or an asshole? Do you mean people who use drugs are losers and assholes?. Is english your first language?Your statement sounds like an awfully ignorant and vague generalization.
I poor my heart out to a bunch of people who i used to chat with and a month and a half later this is what I get......ughhh......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Polling Place All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: