PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stupid Ice Storm!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzerchick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please be safe, GS.

I guess they now have to refix lots of the power lines that they fixed after Ike.
My sis and neice both live outside Houston and were without power for
three weeks because of Ike. Neice sustained lots of damage to her house.
But like you said, at least it was warm then, not ice.
Generic Sobriquet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I got lucky compared to others, only out a week and didn't sustain any real damage to my place. There were still a few thousand in KY without power as of yesterday. Then, damnit, we got smacked again by a damn windstorm with sustained winds in the 40s and 50s, and gusts in the 60mph range, with some reports in the 70s. And this knocked out power to another 40,000. All these trees weakened and damaged from Ike and then the ice storm just getting battered some more. LG&E's website says they're down to 9,000 (plus 7,000 in KY) without power. I got lucky this time and was spared.

I was reading about our forests too. Consider all the damage they've taken. So now they're very susceptible to disease and will continue to fall apart as time goes on, and then you get all the deadwood which becomes some serious fuel if wildfires break out. And so on.

To get an idea, Obama declared KY a "major disaster area" (an official designation, not just words). Here's a report on that, if anyone is interested, plus other info: http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20090206/NEWS01/902060378
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Hangout, Chat & Get to Know All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: