PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got me a goldmine...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jokron

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Got me a goldmine... Reply with quote

...to dig chord melody stuff from...

The Joe Pass Virtuoso CD-series 5 CD's + Appassionato. Since I have narrowed my jazz guitar goal to playing solo chord melody this will be in my mp3-player on my travel around the county in my work. When I get familiar with the tunes I'll pick some of them to transcribe and learn.

I've also changed my practising routine (again... Embarassed ) and now I play lines, actually melodies A) from lead sheet and B) pick a tone anywhere on the fretboard and play the melody/line. I thought that soloing is like inventing new melodies to familiar chord progressions and a good practise routine would be to play melodies and pick a new melodie every day. That's the first part. Second part is to improvise chord melodies out of specifik chords, i e "What can I do out of the CMaj7-chord in different positions. The third part is building a repertoire of tunes. For now I'm working on Misty, All the things you are and As time goes by, adding a new tune every week. If I have an hour to play, I'll focus on each part for about twenty minutes. By this simple schedule/plan I can grab my axe anytime and nowing exactly what I shall play. Can be handy If I get 15 minutes to play here and there. I also have a guitar at my work so I can play on my lunchtime if my worksituation allows me to...

later...

Cool

/Jokron

Miles Davis
hanni

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi jokron that sounds great, i wish i had so much time to practice, i change my practice also, each day i ignore everything 1 or 2 hours at home around me to play guitar after work, playing solo notation along sheets, doing a mount of 6th and 7th chord/arps and canīt stop to write lyrics, i think those changings are good and keep the fun to play guitar.......later
Oldercloud

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Your Lesson Plan Reply with quote

Just wanted to say that your lesson plan sounds wonderful. I'm also trying to fit in a 1-2 hours of practice per day, during the week, and as much as I can on weekends. Right now, I try to get up before work and read for an hour. I also try to work on a couple of tunes during my lunch hour. If I have then energy, I try to play when I get home from work.

I've always loved listening to, and trying to learn from, Joe Pass. His approach makes sense to me. It's very organic.

Do you have any experience with the Play What You hear course? I've thought of purchasing it, but I wanted to get some feedback.

Best of luck with your playing.
jokron

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Your Lesson Plan Reply with quote

Oldercloud wrote:
Just wanted to say that your lesson plan sounds wonderful. I'm also trying to fit in a 1-2 hours of practice per day, during the week, and as much as I can on weekends. Right now, I try to get up before work and read for an hour. I also try to work on a couple of tunes during my lunch hour. If I have then energy, I try to play when I get home from work.

I've always loved listening to, and trying to learn from, Joe Pass. His approach makes sense to me. It's very organic.

Do you have any experience with the Play What You hear course? I've thought of purchasing it, but I wanted to get some feedback.

Best of luck with your playing.

Thanks, I have no experience of PWYH...but from what I've read about it it's good...as a lot of other education material. I think it's more of personal taste what you purchase. I have some method books and CD's/DVD's and the very systematic approach that Jody Fisher gives in his "Complete Jazz Guitar series" is the one I like best. I noticed I lacked of some systematic long term development so I try to spend some 15-20 minutes a day with that series...and now and then I play some of the Joe Pass DVD's "Solo Jazz Guitar", "Blue side of Jazz" or "Jazz lines" and learn new things every time...

/Jokron

Miles Davis
hermosotrozo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
hi jokron that sounds great, i wish i had so much time to practice, i change my practice also, each day i ignore everything 1 or 2 hours at home around me to play guitar after work, playing solo notation along sheets, doing a mount of 6th and 7th chord/arps and canīt stop to write lyrics, i think those changings are good and keep the fun to play guitar.......later

oh yess! they are indeed a new and a fresh way!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: