PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just bought the real book.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volume Swell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Just bought the real book. Reply with quote

First one, best book ever. Even though it's just the chords and melodies, it's probably the most helpful jazz book I've read.
Jake Hanlon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool

Book II has better tunes imo. Some really great stuff in that one. More common tunes in book I though. Sort of the "berklee song book"

www.jakehanlon.com

Debut Album Follow @ Itunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/follow/id406062013
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Stackabones

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

III is cool as well.

Since I sing, I've got the Real Vocal Books Vol 1 & 2. I didn't notice it in the past, but once I started singing these tunes I realized that some of the changes don't work too well with the voice.

Can't recall any specific stuff, but things like maj7 chords when the melody is on the 6th. Not a big deal, but there are better solutions imo. Of course, I just change whatever I need.

Most of the tunes have to be transposed to sit better in my range. But that's a common vocalist thing. Makes the instrumentalists pouty.

I really like these books ... they are a great resource, but often the changes seem like they've been through the bebop machine. Again, no problem. Jazz is ear music. Change what you will according to your own ear.
Volume Swell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'm going to buy all three hopefully by the end of the summer. Having so much music is just so exciting XD.
dewey decibel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, keep in mind that these books are meant to be a rough guide and not a complete song chart. And as such many of the changes are incomplete, if not flat out wrong.
greentone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dewey decibel wrote:
Yes, keep in mind that these books are meant to be a rough guide and not a complete song chart. And as such many of the changes are incomplete, if not flat out wrong.

Songs evolve as well known artists play them. The Real Books contain charts that represent arrangements of better known artists. Thus, whereas "My Favorite Things" was originally a string of sliding II V I changes as written by Rodgers and Hammerstein, the chart in RB reflects the modal treatment by Coltrane from the early 60s that everybody grabbed on to. The chords aren't wrong, they are just way different than the original chart. These days, to play the original chart sounds vaguely corny.

Dewey is right, though, some of the charts ARE wrong.
Jon1980

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the three books and at the start there are corrections to some of the songs.

Out of interest, is there a great deal of difference between the chords in the Real Book and the 'Vanilla Changes'?
Stackabones

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon1980 wrote:
I have the three books and at the start there are corrections to some of the songs.

Out of interest, is there a great deal of difference between the chords in the Real Book and the 'Vanilla Changes'?

The Real Book has most of the homework sub changes from the Berklee students, but most everyone uses them now even though plenty of them don't sit well with the melody. YMMV.

The Vanilla Changes are frowned upon by jazzholes who spent four years at jazz school ... not "hip" enough to justify the degree. Wink
Walker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you can find all 3 of the Real Books online for download so you don't have to pay for them. They're technically illegal anyway.
Viper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As my old bass player Donald Rumsfeld remarked

Quote:
"Viper, man there are real real books and there are fake real books and there real fake books and and there fake fake books. "

They are to be taken with pinch of salt. Some of the mistakes in then that have become more played than the original 'correct' version. They are a useful tool though are far from canonical and of course many are illegal.

You can get a cd somewhere on the net with pdfs of them and many other 'illegal' compilations. The legal Real/Fake books are best and are probably more accurate.

Btw I believe Pat Metheny had a hand in their transcription when he was at Berklee any truth in this rumour?

Mr. Swell..mostly all you get is the melody and the chords and this is called a lead sheet.
hanni

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i miss a bit the lyric to sing in all 3 realbooks, and it needs much time to find it at the net
Marcus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get CDs for all the songs in the Real Books or do no such compilations exist?
Cheers
Marcus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> The Emerging Guitar Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: