PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Melodic Patterns Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Play What You Hear" Course
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bebopper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Melodic Patterns Question Reply with quote

I've been through melodic patterns #1-8 or so, all are similar in that they work around stepping up or down in 3rds. Now I've come to section in course that has melodic patterns #9 - 30 (or so). These are different in that they step up by 4ths, 5ths, ... and so on.

Question is - does Chris really expect us to learn/memorize ALL of these melodic patterns (naturally in all 12 keys and different scale positions)? This could take awhile! Or was his intent to throw a bunch of them out there and for you to work/learn the ones you like the sound of?

I don't mind hard work and have been diligent to date on everything, just with another 20 or so melodic patterns and I believe there are more beyond that, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed and wondering where is the light at the end of the tunnel?

Would appreciate anyone's experience on learning/applying these NUMEROUS melodic patterns.

Regards,
Mark.
Gorecki
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Melodic Patterns Question Reply with quote

bebopper wrote:
I've been through melodic patterns #1-8 or so, all are similar in that they work around stepping up or down in 3rds. Now I've come to section in course that has melodic patterns #9 - 30 (or so). These are different in that they step up by 4ths, 5ths, ... and so on.

Question is - does Chris really expect us to learn/memorize ALL of these melodic patterns (naturally in all 12 keys and different scale positions)? This could take awhile! Or was his intent to throw a bunch of them out there and for you to work/learn the ones you like the sound of?

I don't mind hard work and have been diligent to date on everything, just with another 20 or so melodic patterns and I believe there are more beyond that, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed and wondering where is the light at the end of the tunnel?

Would appreciate anyone's experience on learning/applying these NUMEROUS melodic patterns.

Regards,
Mark.

Don't be overwhelmed, That's self defeating. You have a lifetime to learn these things. I've been playing for 35 years and I can tell you there is no 'end of the tunnel'. Wink

Yes there are A LOT of patterns and I wouldn't expect anyone to memorize them all. Work on them as much as you feel you are getting something out of it...then move on. The goal really is to get this stuff under your fingers and in your head so when some moment something comes out of you based on these exercises because you 'hear it', goal accomplished. Cool

Forums Admin for PlayJazzGuitar.com.

Do you know where all of your F'n B flats are?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Chris Standring's "Play What You Hear" Course All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: