PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum
Jazz Guitar Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fixing a Polytones dead reverb

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitar Repair & Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digijazz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Fixing a Polytones dead reverb Reply with quote

Anyone know how to fix a dead reverb on a circa late 90's Polytone Minibrute II ?

I just bought one off e-bay and the reverb unit was not working when I got it and I'd like to get it fixed.
alfonso

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digijazz,
I can't help you but I'm sure one of these guys on this forum will suggest something for you to do. It's a real shame that the Polytones sound so good but everyone I know who has had one has had electrical problems of one kind or another. Hope you got a steal of a deal on it and everything balances out as far as what you paid and what it will cost to fix. Have you contacted Polytone?? I know it's an older amp and you weren't the original owner etc., but some companies really give a care about their products and will answer questions via email, telephone or whatever. peace Cool
digijazz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, yes hopefully someone will have some idea and I can fix it myself.

Its kind of strange but I somehow prefer the tone of my Cube 60 better so far. I guess I have to spend time with the Polytone. Without the reverb it sounds pretty bad, sort of dull and lifeless, not much treble there at all. Anyway I got it for $325 but the shipping cost was high making it a not so cheap deal after all. Anyway it arrived in good shape and clean. One thing I got to say about this thing its loud and will leave the Roland standing as far as volume goes.... I am not giving up on it and I am sure the sounds are there but I just got to do some dialling in to get my tone. I also read on Harmony Central that when the reverb unit dies, the tone goes dull and flat so maybe when the reverb gets fixed it may "spring to life" ??? Hope so !!
jazznote

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Fixing a Polytones dead reverb Reply with quote

digijazz wrote:
Anyone know how to fix a dead reverb on a circa late 90's Polytone Minibrute II ?

I just bought one off e-bay and the reverb unit was not working when I got it and I'd like to get it fixed.

First you have to make sure if it's the reverb tank that's broken or not. You can try plugging this into (connection with 2 RCA plugs are standard) another amp and see if it works there. If it's a problem of the tank you can order a new one from the polytone company (i suggest a "three spring" not "two spring" version because of the better sound) and plug it in. if the circuit is malfunctioning you'd better bring it to a skilled technician.

hope this helps.
2003 L5 CES, 1999 LeGrand, Carl Martin 3 Band Parametric Pre-Amp, Ernie Ball Stereo Volume Pedal, AER Compact 60 Amps, Clarus 2R amp, Raezer's Edge Stealth 10 cabinets
Wildfield

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have repaired the reverb in my Polytone MegaBrute before. As I recall, the springs connect to a lead. The connection is very fragile and can disconnect/break if the amp is bumped hard or dropped.

Take the back off and be very careful handling once the back is removed. Polytone uses fiberglass inside the amp and removing the back causes the fiberglass to become airborne.

As I recall, the reverb tank is towards the bottom of the amp. I believe you can remove the RCA jacks, and there should be a way (screws?) to release the tank from the amp. You might be able to remove the cover of the tank without removing the tank - I just can't remember...

Once you remove the cover of the tank, you can see where the leads connect to the springs. They used a very simple connector and the wires were not soldered; it was sort of crimped connection. I actually cut and stripped the wire to create a clean end and then soldered it to the connector.

I put everything back together and that resolved my reverb issue.

It's amazing to me that Polytone uses such a crummy connection.

Good luck with your repair and hope you get to the bottom of your reverb troubles.
T-DADDY

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know how old this post is but I'll give it a shot. My 76 Polytone brute did not come with a reverb so I added one. Look on E_BAY and find a Lexicon ALEX. I bought one for $48 This has 16 presets and you can save another 16 user presets. Adjust reverb and add alittle delay .You can have deep tone or change it and sound like WES and play sandman. I highly recomend this.Play on
digijazz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I havent managed to open the back again as I need some ventilated space to do it due to that nasty fiberglass insulation they use.

Same stuff as you have in your attic...makes you itch like hell

I have lot interest in that amp these days and just use a Boss GT-8 onto the desk when I am with the band. It works well (I think its one of the better sounds I have had), gives me lots of tone options gets the job done and saves me carrying amps around. My band works very small very busy little bars and so we need to keep space on stage (ie the pub corner !) to a minimum. Plus the fact in these small places, we can never seem to control the volume or get a good mix when we were all going through amps. Now we have everyone electronic, including our drummer, and we get a fantastic mixed sound everytime.
digijazz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digijazz wrote:

I have lot interest in that amp these days .

I meant to say that I have LOST interest in the amp.
digijazz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost one year on, I still havent yet got round to opening this amp up (no lame excuses, just plain lazy and I hate fiberglass).

Now, what I have discovered over this last year by playing around with the amp, is that if I switch onto the dirty channel/channel 2, and keep the gain low and crank up the master volume, it sounds wonderful clear, bell like and think I have found what is meant to be the true 'Polytone' sound.

I can get it reasonably loud liek this on the dirty channel, but I am sure if I could get the darn thing to work as it should on channel 1, I would get a massive amount clear volume.

Although the reverb is still dead, it sounds great with an old alesis microverb patched in when I use this channel. Difference between night and day since I discovered this.

Sounds amazing with my ES-175 and Emperor Regent, (although the latter I know would benefit from a Kent Armstrong pick-up upgrade).

One day i will pull the thing apart as I am determined to have this thing working as it should !!

It is a US model and I am not sure if there are any taps on the mains input transformer to let me re-tap it for a 240V input ??
Frets

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfonso wrote:
digijazz,
It's a real shame that the Polytones sound so good but everyone I know who has had one has had electrical problems of one kind or another. Cool

Hi Alfonso,

I must be lucky!
I bought my Polytone in the late 1970's. No reverb on my Mini-Brute mind. I never had anything go wrong with it and apart from an annual service, it's never been opened up. I stopped regular gigging about 2 years ago, but I still use the amp at home. Just the occasional gig with it, 'cos it's light enough for a 70 yr old to cart around!

The only problem is the foam sheet that forms the front. It perished, and I had to take off the Polytone emblem, or lose it!
I use a 175, a Custom L5 and a Pro 11 Aria Herb Ellis through it. If I want reverb, I hook up a Boss reverb pedal. Suits me!

Regards
Frets
Cool

You had a point Joe. So I just get a shed-load in the wrong place! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PlayJazzGuitar.com Forum Index -> Guitar Repair & Upgrades All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: